swopping hard drive

ronster

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,i want to put my old hard drive in another pc, can i just swop them and plug and play or do i need to adjust any settings,ive read about jumper settings but wouldnt know were to start with these.cheers:FRIGHT:

Hi,i want to put my old hard drive in another pc, can i just swop them and plug and play or do i need to adjust any settings,ive read about jumper settings but wouldnt know were to start with these.cheers:FRIGHT:
just put it in m8 . more than likely set to master anyway

the jumper seting , on the back of ur hard drive next to where ur ide cable go , theres 6 or 8 pins u will c across 2 of them a little plastic jumper , all u have to do when u put ur old hard drive back into another pc that its on the same 2 pins as the one u are taking out m8 any probs let me know
regards biffo

the jumper seting , on the back of ur hard drive next to where ur ide cable go , theres 6 or 8 pins u will c across 2 of them a little plastic jumper , all u have to do when u put ur old hard drive back into another pc that its on the same 2 pins as the one u are taking out m8 any probs let me know
regards biffo

HELP, the old hd has 6 pins with the middle two of each row joined with the jumper,but the one im replacing it with has 10 pins with the 2nd and 3rd pins on the top row joined with the jumper:FRIGHT:

What drive is it m8?
There'll be a nice lable on it somewhere, with the model number too, goto the manufacturers website & get a data sheet, it'll tell you what positions to put the jumpers in.

changed the jumper settings and still no luck,the hd wont have any drivers on it for the new pc,do these need to be installed on the hd first.

i assume you've just got a new computer and want to transfer all your old files to it. it should be fairly straight forward. firstly there should be either a sticker on the drive that shows you where to put the jumper, or above the pins where the jumper is it should be some letters like so:

m s c
a l s

these refer to master, slave and cable select.

simply set the jumper to slave and connect it to the same ide cable as your new computers hard disk. you may have to set the new hdd to master as it could be set to cable select as standard. then you should be able to boot the computer and your old drive will be picked up by windows.

i assume you've just got a new computer and want to transfer all your old files to it. it should be fairly straight forward. firstly there should be either a sticker on the drive that shows you where to put the jumper, or above the pins where the jumper is it should be some letters like so:

m s c
a l s

these refer to master, slave and cable select.

simply set the jumper to slave and connect it to the same ide cable as your new computers hard disk. you may have to set the new hdd to master as it could be set to cable select as standard. then you should be able to boot the computer and your old drive will be picked up by windows.

i dont want to transfer the files i just want to change the hard drive, the one im putting in already has xp pro on so was hoping i could just put the hd in cause the pc has faster processor the old one was to slow.can i do this?

the hard drive u want to put in ur comp with xp on , wont normally install on a different pc , as its got all the drivers and config of ur other comp u took it out of , the only way is if both comps are the same set up drivers hardware , i know companies use the same disks for ease of install but other wise well ive tried what u want to do , just got the blue screen of death , , i think we all thought u just wanted to save the files off it , ur best bet if u want to use it is save the files off it if theres any u want to keep , then format it then u will be able to use the drive .
regards biffo

why dont you leave the new hard drive in the computer as the master drive and then add your old hard drive as a slave drive so then you will have 2 hard drives in it and a lot more room to store stuff,i dont that to mine this week all it cost me was £2 for a new ide cable

from what he is saying i think he doesnt have a new hdd, just the old one. the only way to do it would be to re-install windows without doing a format once the drive is in the new computer. i suppose you could try booting into safe mode and delete all your devices out of device manager and install the new drivers, then reboot. that probably wont work, but its worth a try.

Back