Switch and Router.....together.....??

Wiz

Senior Member +
Reaction score
Ok i'm sure you have seen the probs i've had recently trying to set up this wireless broadband router....:(

I have a new idea in that i set up network and broadband sharing with ethernet switch etc and set the router on a diff ip addy for my wireless media server downstairs....

Question is can this be done as router will need to be connected to my main pc for transfer/streaming of music....and that will need to be via ethernet i guess as no other connection on router...

Sorry guys cant c any other way around probs ive got with certain proggies via router...

Regards

There is another way, go back to your switch, sell your router and buy and aceess point.

Thats what I run, and it works.

I have the Belkin unit model number F5D7130. Got it of ebay:)

Ok (head a mass of ip addy's and port forwarding cr*p now) ahhhhhhh...lol :):) would this work then Mhinge m8 bearing in mind the proggies i'm having trouble running atm with the router ;)...

1st pc with modem connected via usb...
Ethernet switch then connecting 2 other local pc's and Laptop via ethernet...

Wireless Access point connecting remote pc (boys room) via wireless usb adaptor(for network and internet access)...and media server downstairs(network access)...

complicated i know...

Sok, cheers mhinge m8, just read up on it a bit more...thats what i need...access point...whats the betting i wont get my switch running as i had it now....;)

I Have 2 lappys and the main pc (Server).

1 lappy is my works lappy and the other is the missus lappy, which also acts as a gateway to the MP3 Streamer (Rio Receiver) all work fine we can browse the net ans listen to mp3's at the same time:)

not tried bt or any other programs, as thats the servers job:)

Pretty much the same as mine then, i just have a couple more base units....was having a look at an access point earlier at pc world...same lan port as router or is this lan as opposed to ethernet ?? my question would be can u not get a router to operate as an access point ???

you could use your wrt54g just as an access point. need to change that setting I mentioned, in setup -> advanced routing, from Gateway to router.
Then setup the wireless settings on the wrt54g and on your wireless card and see if they are communicating. Just need a cable between the wrt54g and the switch. This is all off the top of my head, so I might have missed something, but yeah it should work.

I'm flashing a new custom firmware onto my wrt54g in a bit, which means I can pump up the signal strength a bit, get a better connection to my laptop then.

If it doesn't work, let us know, and we can troubleshoot it, step by step.

As long as the light comes on to indicate a connection then you're good. Plug it in a normal port and see if lights up, if not, use the uplink. Ping the wrt54g from one of the pcs to test it gets that far, then once the wireless is set up, try pinging that pc.

i have a router/modem/4 port switch/print server/wireless in one lol... dont ask why i wanted it, and its fooking great !!!!!

i connect one port from my switch to my 16 port switch (lol no i dont have 16 PC's lol just i have a few servers and someone gave me the switch (thanks ;))

but the 16 port switch has a uplink button on it and when i click the uplink it allows me to connect the two switches ;)

its a great setup i have all my PC's on the LAN and laptops on the wireless and they all connect and my dreambox runs into my switch (16 port) and they all access it great ;).

Back