Swimming

manutd4life

DW Regular
Reaction score
Will swimming help get rid of my little gut and help tone my body?

Thinking about taking up swimming and how often to go?

cheers

Yeah swimming is a great form of exercise and will tone you up.

You should exercise at least three times a week, so whether you decide to swim three times or swim once or twice and do something else as well is up to you.

Swimming won't specifically target your stomach muscles, if you have a bit of a gut swimming will help to get rid of it, but you would get better results with sit ups, stomach crunches etc.

Any cardio exercise which makes you breath heavy will be targeting your gut.

For toning you need high reps and less heavy resistance training.

Start by cutting out the pies.

In simple terms your will start losing weight when your calorie intake falls below calorie expenditure. As fat is (un)evenly distributed by your body its very difficult to target one specific area. For example doing a lot of sit up may tone up your abs but not necessarily deduce fat from that area specifically. You can help weight loss by controlling what type of foods you eat and when plus make sure you get enough sleep.

Anyway, going back to your question, all forms of exercise are good and swimming is one of the best if your are unfit at the moment or are suffering from joint issues as its low impact. Recommendation is that you should get to a point where you are breathing heavily for at 30 mins, 3 times a week. You can get heart rate monitor for 20 or 30 quid and that will help monitor when you are working hard enough and also how much improvement you are making.

But common information I always seem to come across is that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, i.e. its much easier to eat better then try and lose those extra calories through exercise so cutting out those pies and beer would be a great first step.

I don't eat any pies you coonts lol

My drinking has been cut down from every day to just Friday night and Saturday, been like that about 6 months now. I don't really think my diet is that bad, mon-fri I have cereal before work, then first break have 1 ham and tomato sandwich, kit kat chunky and a bag of crisps. For dinner I have a tin of mackeral in tomato sauce (in oil is just horrible), a crunchie and a bag of crisps and 2 cans of coke all day! For tea I have freshly made stuff,don't do microwave meals. And have 1-2 pints of fresh Orange juice.

I play footy once a week which is very intense and knackerin.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I don't eat any pies you coonts lol

My drinking has been cut down from every day to just Friday night and Saturday, been like that about 6 months now. I don't really think my diet is that bad, mon-fri I have cereal before work, then first break have 1 ham and tomato sandwich, kit kat chunky and a bag of crisps. For dinner I have a tin of mackeral in tomato sauce (in oil is just horrible), a crunchie and a bag of crisps and 2 cans of coke all day! For tea I have freshly made stuff,don't do microwave meals. And have 1-2 pints of fresh Orange juice.

I play footy once a week which is very intense and knackerin.

Too much simple sugar, you'd be better off with the pie!

Is that sandwich wholegrain?

Record an average day food intake and work out your macros and total kCal. You are probably eating too many carbohydrates and not enough good fats. Swap the crisps and chocolate for nuts or something.

No its a toastie, used to eat brown bread but that stopped for some reason. Gonna start buying it again! Sure it was warbies wholegrain!

As spectre says I would seriously consider doing a food diary for week or so. Small note pad or something. Keep and exact record of what you eat, quantities and time.

If you can, check the labels for nutritional values, carbs, sugars, fat, etc, else you can find general information online.

As spectre says I would seriously consider doing a food diary for week or so. Small note pad or something. Keep and exact record of what you eat, quantities and time.

If you can, check the labels for nutritional values, carbs, sugars, fat, etc, else you can find general information online. Be careful with portion sizes when checking labels. Like the Special K ad, great that you can lose weight with it but you have only eat 30g portion which it like 2 or 3 bites.

Too much simple sugar, you'd be better off with the pie!

Is that sandwich wholegrain?

Record an average day food intake and work out your macros and total kCal. You are probably eating too many carbohydrates and not enough good fats. Swap the crisps and chocolate for nuts or something.

If you can, check the labels for nutritional values, carbs, sugars, fat, etc, else you can find general information online.

i cant really check the packets for stuff as most of my food is home made. i have now swapped the chocolate for nuts now and only eating just over a quarter of a bag per day(mon-fri).

Even with home cooked food, there are sites and books with give average nutritional for home cooked food. I think weight watchers had something on their site.

I have a program that does this, I did use Excel but it was a right pain.

It has a database of foods but you can add your own and create meals to make entering it quicker.

I'll put it somewhere for you to download. Rapidshare? How do I upload it (not uploaded to RS ever)?

It will be later when I'm at home though.

It has a database of foods but you can add your own and create meals to make entering it quicker.

I'll put it somewhere for you to download. Rapidshare? How do I upload it (not uploaded to RS ever)?

ok cheers mate, you just need to prees the upload up button or use another file sharing site!

oneman i will have a look at that tonight cheers

First zip your file with winzip or whatever prog you use and then just hit the upload button, it will tell you to browse your pc for the file you want to upload, when it's finished uploading copy and paste the link that comes up.

Back