Surround sound connections

MFCGMFC

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm wanting to connect up my silvercrest surround sound setup to my tv

it was previously connected to my pc but now I need new cables to connect to my tv

only thing is I don't have a clue what cables to buy!

I take it I can use the wee red and White component cables but there is blue connections etc

WTF do u buy chaps?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

If you have a optical out connection from your TV, that would the easiest.

What inputs/outputs do you need connecting to? do you want to take sound from your TV into your surround system?

its 4 small speakers a main one and a subwoofer that conect into a controlling unit then need to conect the controlling unit to the tv so i can watch programs in surround sound

theres 6 connections in total to go from the unit to the tv

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

What audio outputs does your TV have? Most usually only have 2x RCA which means 2 channel audio rather than multi channel.

Does your TV have optical or SPDIF out? I think that would be the only way to get multichannel audio unless both your surround sound system and TV have HDMI.

...theres 6 connections in total to go from the unit to the tv...
Are they labelled along the lines as:
Front Left/Right
Rear Left/Right
Centre and Subwoofer

If so what outputs on the TV do you have? (If you are not sure, just post the model number and someone should be able to look it up for you.)

Most usually only have 2x RCA which means 2 channel audio rather than multi channel.

Not necessarily. Dolby Pro-Logic (left, centre, right, and mono surround) is often matrix encoded onto that two channel audio output.

Dolby Surround/Pro Logic is based on basic matrix technology. When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is created, four channels of sound are matrix-encoded into an ordinary stereo (two channel) sound track. The centre channel is encoded by placing it equally in the left and right channels; the rear channel is encoded using phase shift techniques. A Pro Logic decoder/processor "unfolds" the sound into the original 4.0 surround—left and right, center, and a single limited frequency-range (7 kHz low-pass filtered[1]) mono rear channel—while systems lacking the decoder play back the audio as standard stereo.

Wiki

Last edited:
six ?! connections from yer control untit to the tv ?
it does not sound right to me ..
should only be one ....be it Hdmi...optical...even phono ?
You would generally need your tv to connect to a surround sound AV reciever ,
then your speakers plug into the reciever , this is the most effecient way to do it .

You still haven't told us what output connections your tv has. If it has 2 phono plugs, connect them to the input marked '2' on your unit. The other six inputs below that are irrelevant for a tv output. If the tv has an optical sound output then your f*cked.

(although sometimes one of the scart sockets will be two-way and output sound, but that might get a bit complicated)

That TV does not seem to have have 5.1 out...

Connecting the highlighted stereo sockets using a Phono to Phono cable would work:
member-little_pob-albums-thread+images-picture396-stereo-output.png

member-little_pob-albums-thread+images-picture397-stereo-output2.png

The other stereo connections on the TV appear to be inputs.

Last edited:
what highlighted ones mate?

theres the obligatory red white and yellow on the side of the tv aswell

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

The connections I've drawn boxes around? I did upload images to an album on DW and they look to have been approved by a mod.

Reposted on photobucket just in case:
TV:
stereo-output.png

Surround system:
stereo-output2.png

couldnt see them in the post mate

just tried that now and na its not working :(

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Just to clarify, on the TV you have 9 phono connectors.

The vertical line of three on the right look like RGB video in so discount them.

That leaves 3 pairs of 2 audio connectors. One pair look like they are audio input for RGB.

That leave 2 pairs, one I assume is audio input for VGA connector that leave 1 pair of phone connectors for audio out (the pair highlighted in the picture above).

As somebody above mentioned, the best you can hope for is Dolby Prologic which can encode surround sound into a stereo sound track. However your TV and amp will need to support this.

Dolby Pro Logic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

na chaps that didnt work....

there is RGB on the side

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

hey all

to make it easier i think i'll just add to this thread instead of making a new one and having to copy stuff from this yin

anyway

i'm after a surround sound setup for my tv (the one in this thread)

my budget is around £100

seen a bush setup in argos which looked decent for £100 but i'm scared to buy anyhin since this tv is dodgy with the sound output lol

TIA

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back