Surface tablet locked

sid2003

New Member ++
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a surface pro from work but they have put an administrator account on it so I cannot install any programs unless I log in as the administrator.
Is there any way around this?
Cheers

Hey guys, I have a surface pro from work but they have put an administrator account on it so I cannot install any programs unless I log in as the administrator.
Is there any way around this?
Cheers
If it now belongs to you, i'd just wipe it and reinstall the OS.

Unfortunately I have to hand it back in if I leave. Its basically a loan laptop but I want to install an NZB downloader but like I said it wont allow me to install anything. I though there maybe a less extreme method.

Unfortunately I have to hand it back in if I leave. Its basically a loan laptop but I want to install an NZB downloader but like I said it wont allow me to install anything. I though there maybe a less extreme method.
There possibly is? :)
Perhaps you could create an backup image of the OS as it is, Then reinstall. If you have to hand it back, put the image back on?

Mmmm maybe, although there are some programmes on there installed from work that I use.
I will look at them and see if I can get them.

Mmmm maybe, although there are some programmes on there installed from work that I use.
I will look at them and see if I can get them.
There may be a way around the admin password. Someone will probably let you know later, when they see this thread.
What OS? Win10?

I'd strongly advise against this.

It'll more than likely be a sackable offence if you get found out (gross misconduct), especially if you're doing it for newsgroups.

I was wondering about group policy stuff and automated backups at his workplace.

Where I work, if a machine is off the network for a certain time then you have to apply to have it reinstated or even reinstalled in some cases. Due to this, old backup images won't work if re-imaged but can be mounted to find files etc.

I wanted to be able to use old backup images to refresh my machines now and again but was told it wouldn't work because of this.

Last edited:
Can you not get it to boot another operating system from a usb drive?

This might be tricky on a surface thinking about it, as they only have 1 usb port.

Last edited:
Can you not get it to boot another operating system from a usb drive?

If they've locked the OS down then I'll guess that they have passworded the BIOS too.

Windows 10 also has a feature where preventing running executables from anywhere but the system drive can be enabled.

It sounds much easier to pick up a cheap laptop off ebay or the marketplace if it's just for d/ling a few nzbs. :)

Thanks for the info guys, yes it may well come under a work policy not to tamper with it equipment.
I have got quite familiar with one of the it guys so I might ask him.
If not, yeah I was thinking of a cheap laptop. But I just wanted to explore if there was an easy option on the surface.
Cheers guys.
Would it also be cheeky if one of you could like one of my comments? So I can start to download some stuff?
Thanks again! 👍

In the old days (well not that long ago) there was something called "Hirens Boot Disk" which had all manner of password bypass stuff on it, just siply boot from the disc and disable/delete the password etc..

I know they changed it so you could run it from a USB drive too.

Not sure how effective the tools are against Windows 10 though, but there is an unofficial updated version running around (the original stopped being updated by Hiren in 2005) that boots into a Windows PE environment.

I am new member, I too had windows locked with admin password. I used this website probable SEO spam removed to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
When i log in i will use a balaclava then you wont see me either,just shows how good the protection is on DW.

Seen a member who joined this morning with a reaction score of -1. Not seen that before
If you hold the like button for a moment you can now choose your reaction...i think joe gave him an angry emotion...which i guess is the opposite of like..giving the poster a score of -1
I assume thats how it works now anyway.

Back