Super-slim Curved Display Uses Plasma Technology

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
June 11, 2008 | by Arlen Schweiger

We keep hearing about OLED and its super slimness as the next generation of TV displays. Japanese manufacturer Shinoda Plasma Co. will be demonstrating its ultra thin design next week at InfoComm, and it works off of plasma technology.

The company is exhibiting its “Shipla Wall,” a 125-inch curved PTA display for the first time in the United States. The PTA is for plasma tube arrays, and the whole shebang might remind some of Stewart Filmscreen’s CineCurve projection screen.

Despite being a 125-inch mammoth display, Shinoda’s screen gets its thinness from the 1 mm diameter of the plasma tubes, which are lined up and affixed with electron film on both sides.

The technology allows for eye-popping color and vivid imagery that plasma can provide, in super-large displays and weights of about 1/10th that of LCD and plasma displays.

If you read Japanese, you can check out more on the company at www.shi-pla.com. Otherwise, here’s a TechOn article with some other details.

Source: http://www.electronichouse.com/article/super_slim_curved_display_uses_plasma_technology/

be a while til we see anything like that :( sounds sh!t hot

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

OMG look at that!

I suspect a house would be cheaper than the tv :)

it does look pretty goot but if you look closer at the pic from the techon link u can see it looks like 3 screens joined together,you can see the 2 vertical lines running up between them which kinda spoils it a bit

I can only imagine trying to get that through the door. Possibly anything over 70" will be difficult to get into most peoples homes. I guess TV's will max out at that size, not that we need 70"! 40" odd for TV is more than adequate. For film content I'd settle for a 82" if I had to but no smaller.

Front projection is where the action is at IMHO.

Back