Suggestions please for a camera around £100

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
My wife and I want to buy our first digital camera.

We can't afford a lot so it has to be around the £100 mark.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

TIA :Cheers:

You won't go wrong with canon, nikon, fuji, panasonic or sony.

£100 should get you at least 8MP (usually good enough for A3) and probably face detection. However, not all sensors are equal and you may well find an 8MP camera produces sharper, less 'noisy' pictures than a 10MP camera. Also bare in mind that very few cameras come with memory cards these days.

Jessops' sub £100 range: Jessops - Compact Cameras

Always check a couple of reviews from different sources before buying. Look for articles that mention:
Noise - how noisy the images are at different lighting conditions. A high ISO range is all well and good, but image noise can ruin a perfectly composed image.
White balance - the ability of auto-white balance to choose the correct setting for the lighting conditions is important. As is the ability to override if necessary.
Optics - the quality of the lens in front of the camera is just as important as the sensor.
Auto-focus - the quicker the auto focus the better, esp if photographing kids. If photographing wildlife you need it to be as quiet as possible.
Shutter lag - the lag between pressing the button and the image being taken is important and can be the difference between a swan coming in to land and the said swan landed.

On the spec sheets look for:
Focal range - a focal range of 3m to infinity means that the camera is able to focus on images within that range distance. 3m is a bigger distance than most people realise, so want a focal distance of 1m to infinity at the very least.
Temperature and humidity tolerances - especially if you intend taking the camera abroad. As a side note always take your camera on as hand luggage. The hold gets cold quickly, allowing condensation to form inside electronic devices...

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.

I'm still searching - so much to choose from.

I've been looking at Panasonic Lumix's. They have Leica lenses, which seems like a good thing, but there are so many different models.

I'm considering this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-FS7-Digital-Camera/dp/B001T0GZF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262444869&sr=1-1]Panasonic Lumix FS7 Digital Camera - Black 2.7 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

would appreciate opinions. :)

I've just ordered my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS7.

The cheapest I could get it online was £109.99 from Amazon.

I phoned my local Panasonic shop and managed to get a deal of £119 for the camera plus a 4gb card.

Little to late for Hamba to take into considaration and slightly over budget but this one here at amazon has has some good reviews

Fujifilm FinePix S1500fd Digital Camera - Black (10MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD £118.52

5109K1Dx0NL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001SN6XQS/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21]Fujifilm FinePix S1500fd Digital Camera - Black 2.7: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

Got the S1500 myself , lovely bit of kit for the money imo . had a canon s70 before and loved it . This takes better shots and obviously the zoom is way better . Only downside to me is sheer size , its more akin to a slr digital certainly not pocket size lol
quick picture of a fat bird , taken from inside house through window on pretty high setting .

Back