Sugar tax

"Any soft drink with more than 5g of sugar per 100ml will be subject to the new levy from Friday, which aims to tackle childhood obesity."

Why should we all have to pay tax because some parents don't look after their kids health? All manufacturers should cut the sugar and fook the government. Wonder if anyone has actually worked out how many different forms of tax we are subject to, our Government must be world champions of tax or tax by another name.
We all know it will make no difference in childhood obesity either. In many cases the parents are obese as well.

Sugar tax is just another scam to dip your pockets. They already have it here and the soft drinks manufacturers have responded by reducing the sugar content and replacing with artificial sweeteners. My erstwhile favourite fizzy orange drink now tastes vile.
The problem with artificial sweeteners is they are probably worse than natural sugar. Anything that tastes sweet triggers an insulin response, but without the calories to metabolise, the effects can be quite unpleasant, even harmful - and certainly won't contribute to weight loss. Gov't knows this but are quite happy to make people $ick while collecting the £££s.

Sugar tax is just another scam to dip your pockets. They already have it here and the soft drinks manufacturers have responded by reducing the sugar content and replacing with artificial sweeteners. My erstwhile favourite fizzy orange drink now tastes vile.
The problem with artificial sweeteners is they are probably worse than natural sugar. Anything that tastes sweet triggers an insulin response, but without the calories to metabolise, the effects can be quite unpleasant, even harmful - and certainly won't contribute to weight loss. Gov't knows this but are quite happy to make people $ick while collecting the £££s.

so its another ticking time bomb with an increase in type 2 diabetes which is already on the up anyway.....

most manufacturers have made 'zero' alternatives so they don't have to add the tax.

Just think of us Scottish who get the 'minimum pricing for alcohol' coming into effect in may :-(
To be fair though that should only affect the cheap supermarket ciders etc; A unit is 25ml of whisky and 3 units is a pint of beer which are way higher than 50p per unit anyway. Responsible drinkers should be left virtually unaware whereas the problem drinkers will likely feel it.

I am Scottish and have opted out of the minimum pricing for alcohol. I live in England :)

so its another ticking time bomb with an increase in type 2 diabetes which is already on the up anyway.....

Yep, and more money for Big Pharma who, let's face it pretty much own the gov't.

To be fair though that should only affect the cheap supermarket ciders etc; A unit is 25ml of whisky and 3 units is a pint of beer which are way higher than 50p per unit anyway. Responsible drinkers should be left virtually unaware whereas the problem drinkers will likely feel it.

I am Scottish and have opted out of the minimum pricing for alcohol. I live in England :)

I suppose I 'opted out' too by moving to Portugal where tax on booze & tobacco is very low. But I don't drink or smoke!! Got that wrong lol!

I suppose I 'opted out' too by moving to Portugal where tax on booze & tobacco is very low. But I don't drink or smoke!! Got that wrong lol!
I'm glad we don't have the same amount of sunshine here in the UK as you do in Portugal, it would be taxed to tackle skin cancer :cool:

Back