Sub suddenly gone very low :(

daveleebond

Inactive User
Reaction score
It's a kef 2010.

It made a few pops a few days ago and now you have to crank the input level quite high to get any bass out of the thing.

Any ideas?

Check connections.

Check speaker cone.

Just Googled the unit and a few people have remarked on the reliability. Maybe worth investigating the warranty.

Google the fault, you may be able to fix it yourself or get help here.

Last edited:
Check avforums m8, they always have some good advice.

I have 10 year old Paradigm PS1000 sub (brilliant piece of kit and still knock holes in walls). It stopped activiating when the amp sent the bass through, it turned out that the heat from 2 resisters eventually burns the board and causes a dry joint. So 3 mins with a sldering iron and all was right with the world again, except we have new neighbours and they have a new born baby who thinks my sub is always too loud. :)

If it dont take your breath away then it aint worth having on.

I hope you live nextdoor to me mate lol. Him nextdoor makes enjoying our home neigh on impossible with his 2nd hand bass soundwaves verberating around our house. These things should be illegal unless you live in a detatched house. He must think we sit there loving listening to his impressive din... ... NOT!!!

did you mention it in a passing comment thats its too loud,i like it loud and can get carried away at times,think i will move sub over nearer to their wall.:banana::banana::proud:

did you mention it in a passing comment thats its too loud,i like it loud and can get carried away at times,think i will move sub over nearer to their wall.:banana::banana::proud:

Lol, no, think they only speak in grunts so have to bang on the wall. Seem to think they are the centre of the universe and we always have to go out of our way to bang on the wall, rather than them having birth of conscience or concideration - be a shame to inconvenience them, the poor little sods, lol. Think they are a bit simple though and probably walk around exclaiming such things as 'uhh, look, shiney thing!' and, 'me press button, louuuuuuudddddd, wowwww'

I hope you live nextdoor to me mate lol. Him nextdoor makes enjoying our home neigh on impossible with his 2nd hand bass soundwaves verberating around our house. These things should be illegal unless you live in a detatched house. He must think we sit there loving listening to his impressive din... ... NOT!!!

No m8, but if I did you wouldn't have to bang on the wall as I am of an age where manners and curtesey still exists.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

But I do turn it up occasionally when I know there's no one home. :)

am of an age where manners and curtesey still exists.
So you're the victim? lol, quality. Isn't it good manners not to impose your choice of lifestyle onto others so people don't have to say anything or bang on the wall? It's called noise pollution mate, it's against the law becasue it's anti-social behaviour, so you can imagine my humour at your using 'manners' and 'curtesey' as a defense lol.

You'd have to be a bit of a sociopath to not know that a sub woofer travels or when something is too loud... 'look, I'm stabbing you, but I only know it's wrong if you scream or say stop... ... ... politely, mind!?!', the logic doesn't work mate. Plus, clocking when they aint in so you can turn it even louder is an admission of guilt mate ;)

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Imagine you just sat down to read a book, or gone to bed, or whatever really, and then, "wooooom wooooom wooooom" You like that? no mate, I didn't think you did, lol. Unless you are the lord of noise. I take it when you or your neighbours moved in you went round to introduce yourself as the new dictator of quiet air? That you decide when there is noise and there isn't, handed them a scheldual which pointed out the times they can expect not to have their homes polluted by your 2nd hand din? No? But surely it's only 'good manners'!

The only thing anyone in this situation can justify is their right to be selfish and self-centred, upto the point the neighbours have had enough that they get the authorities involved, which would be a shame, wouldnt it... And you're trying to point out to me that community is dead? lol... Too fookin right it is mate...

Last edited:
So you're the victim? lol, quality. Isn't it good manners not to impose your choice of lifestyle onto others so people don't have to say anything or bang on the wall? It's called noise pollution mate, it's against the law becasue it's anti-social behaviour, so you can imagine my humour at your using 'manners' and 'curtesey' as a defense lol.

You'd have to be a bit of a sociopath to not know that a sub woofer travels or when something is too loud... 'look, I'm stabbing you, but I only know it's wrong if you scream or say stop... ... ... politely, mind!?!', the logic doesn't work mate. Plus, clocking when they aint in so you can turn it even louder is an admission of guilt mate ;)

Imagine you just sat down to read a book, or gone to bed, or whatever really, and then, "wooooom wooooom wooooom" You like that? no mate, I didn't think you did, lol. Unless you are the lord of noise. I take it when you or your neighbours moved in you went round to introduce yourself as the new dictator of quiet air? That you decide when there is noise and there isn't, handed them a scheldual which pointed out the times they can expect not to have their homes polluted by your 2nd hand din? No? But surely it's only 'good manners'!

The only thing anyone in this situation can justify is their right to be selfish and self-centred, upto the point the neighbours have had enough that they get the authorities involved, which would be a shame, wouldnt it... And you're trying to point out to me that community is dead? lol... Too fookin right it is mate...

As soon as I know there was someone moving next door I stopped playing music loud enough so they could hear it. As a result they have never had to ask me to turn it down. I dont even try to compete when he has his m8's round for a few beers at the weekend.

When I mentioned manners and curtesy, I meant as a dig at your neighbours, not you, meaning that they obviously dont have any.

When I mentioned manners and curtesy, I meant as a dig at your neighbours, not you, meaning that they obviously dont have any.

Ah right, sorry, I thought you meant it as it was rude to bang on the wall!?!? No worries... but yeah, they have no such graces, think they are the centre of the universe. Very, very ignorant people.

Still stand by what I say though, these sub woofers are too powerfull for the average semi, terrace, flat, whatever. These are residential dwellings, not cinemas. Daft as it sounds, there should be tighter controls on them....

Last edited:
anyway, I live in a terrace flat at the top, person below me is never in, I have a room between sub location and next flat, which is vacant. Floors are concrete.

I am quite considerate and had non complaints, and believe me they would complain.

Back to the sub, this kindly chap a AVF repair's all Kef units as a sort of hobby, charges a reasonable £10 for his time and then parts, which is usually some fried caps. So I have posted the amp board off to him.

Last edited:
Still stand by what I say though, these sub woofers are too powerfull for the average semi, terrace, flat, whatever. These are residential dwellings, not cinemas. Daft as it sounds, there should be tighter controls on them....

I understand what you are saying m8. But the subs do have controls for volume and several controls to alter the sound and cut off frequencies. There are levels that you can set to get a good sound without annoying anyone. The whole point of buying the big beast was because smaller subs dont sound as good at very low volumes. This thing is the size of a coffee table with a downward facing 15" sub speaker that goes down to 11htz. Most of the time it's more about the feel of it rather than the sound.

But at the end of the day you dont need a sub to annoy your neighbours.

noisy, neighbours, subwoofer, bass, loud, music, surround, system

But at the end of the day you dont need a sub to annoy your neighbours.

Nothing against them aslong as they are used like that, but being real, the majority aren't - they are made to be loud and that's why people buy them.

Anything below 80Hz travels through most walls. If you can hear your neighbours in everyday situations, laughing, sneezing, etc, then something must click in their heads that they must be able to hear their low rumbling booms and over the top explosions.

You might not need a sub to anoy your neighbours, but subs are by far the most anoying part of a neighbours din. Anything else and you can maybe escape it in another room, but not with bass, that goes right through every room in the house.

As far as I'm concerned they are just another way to emerse yourself in your own bubble world and be anti social, just like earphones and ipods are, but at least walkman's are an introverted way to be antisocial whereas a cinema system's noise polution is forced onto people against their will, rights and wishes.

Imagine someone forced you to listen to various music tracks through the day or night at their time of choosing... just pinned you down and jammed earphones in you ears, same difference mate.

What people get upto in their own homes is their own business, but when it effects other people, it's wrong. If people what to make lots of noise then they should pack it in until they find a sutible detached house or caravan in a feild...

And all these comments are relevant to my initial technical question how?

If you have a grievance about noise pollution start it in the rant section.

And all these comments are relevant to my initial technical question how?

If you have a grievance about noise pollution start it in the rant section.

Alright pal, keep the noise down, this is our thread now. You've fixed your problem so go and find your own thread... this is a stick-up : gun : your thread has been hijacked.

Sorry mate, just the way it turned out / evolved, lol... My fault, sorry... It's not really a rant more a raise awarness point that these subwoofers in the wrong hands and premises are a pest, a really, really, really, anoying pest!! I'll be a happy if only one person reads this and turns it down in consideration for their neighbours - I won't get the benefit but at least someone will be.

Maybe I'll copy and past this in the rant section though, more people might see it...:proud:

Can see both sides here. I have a Kef 2005 system in a semi.Its fookin loud.My problem - its in a large living room and although it can throb,it seems like theres a dead spot across the other side of the room where we sit on a big corner suite.Its not practical to have the sub in front of the suite so - I bought a cheap Kef 1005 sub and placed it at the back of the sofas partly thru an old false wall.I run both subs but only at a quarter (or half if together)of the original volume and now get a better feel and punch when watchin movies etc without annoyin the neighbours.Course I will probably demolish both our houses if I catch the volume control by mistake! Works well tho. Theres alot of misery caused by peeps not takin care to set them up well or wang the music up in the livin room so they can hear it in the kitchen - now thats a piss off!!

Back