Streamlocator ? what do you think ?

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
How does this work ? does it change you IP and does it do as it says on the tin

keep your speed ?

StreamLocator Hub with 12 month service

I'n thinking of one and doing away with all this VPN. I have still to find a decent VPN that doesn't screw you for half your bandwidth at peak times

Techadvisor are normally impartial and they give it a glowing review.
I know £60 a year after the first year but if its doing its job without losing speed and everyone's protected its a small price to pay.
If anyones got one let me know, £80 on Amazon

StreamLocator Hub review

I've bit the bullet and ordered one hopefully it will land today on Prime. It will either be the best £80 or the worse I've spent in a while. I'm not just thinking of streaming but household protection. I will post up my thoughts and speed test results WiFi and wired plus xbox wired wireless after I give it chance to prove itself or sadly fail. I haven't read a bad review so far so only time will tell.

It landed yesterday and after a quick and simple 15 minute unbox and set up it seems to be running fine. I replaced the TP Link SG1008D switch behind the TV and a reboot of the main hub router plus making an account it was done in no time. The main PC is now hard wired directly to the StreamLocator and speed test show speeds as it was and the WiFi the same speed connecting to the WiFi been pumped out from the StreamLocator.

My lads not tried it on the xbox so not sure about that. The only thing I don't understand is my IP on the main PC remains the same so I'm unsure how it's hiding or protecting my system or is it simply geo-unblocking.

The more I dug this morning the I found out. Its a geo-unblocker but a good one.

Your IP remains the same and in full view and so does your location something StreamLocator fail to make clear even though the clearly say its an alternative to a vpn . It just means that when you connect you lose no speed unlike alot of VPN services that allow you to access other countries.

So the big question is, will I keep it ?,

Firstly, the WiFi signal has massively improved within the house upstairs and the garden there's a marked improvement, the signal has gone up by a 3rd to half in places. It can be added to Firesticks as a separate app you download to the stick and the missus watches Netflix so she can now watch USA via the simple built in TV Netflix smart app hard wiring the TV to it.

Downside ,
I still need a vpn to hide the IP on 3 devices for IPTV as the IP is clearly still visible and location. One is a izgemma H9s which I'd need to reflash up wooshbuild to add a vpn. the Firestick app is $4.99 a month(free for the first 12 months) so after 12 month's it becomes a dear do for sure.

I've got 30 days so I'm going to give it a go and see how it copes and if not she's going back faster than a tramp on a kipper

Last edited:
So ran the xbox, both wireless and wired via the streamlocator and both work without a hitch and speeds exactly the same.

After an hour this morning I dropped on this. So for me, the Streamlocator does not meet my needs. What I was hoping and thinking it would do is, hide my IP while in use but this is not the case so its going back.

For anyone using USA or Dazn Netflix Prime USA then get it bought but me ?

Tramp on a kipper comes to mindScreenshot_20201224-101049_Chrome.jpg

And just to clarify this i mailed the company asking if its a VPN and in fairness I got a super speedy reply within the hour :-

"I wanted to reach about your recent question on whether or not StreamLocator changes your IP.

That answer is no unfortunately. StreamLocator is not a VPN and uses a different technology based around DNS rather then manipulating your IP. This means that while using StreamLocator your IP will always remain the same and it will not help in case you're looking to "hide from your ISP".

We use this technology as it's much more reliable and stable than any VPN out there when it comes to streaming geo-blocked content, which is our main focus with the StreamLocator Hub.

Let me know if you have any other questions whatsoever, I'm always happy to help!

Have a great holiday ahead!"

Mines gone back just, gotta say the WiFi is brilliant and undoing geo blocked countries while no speed loss but thats not why I got it.

Last edited:
Back