Streaming over the internet

ajones1722

Inactive User
Reaction score
Mornin all!

Is it possible to stream from a dreambox over the internet? A friend wants to try this for educational purposes. What would both need to do?

tia

Morning ajones1722,

Yes it is very possible to stream your video over the Internet, most of it would be down to the configuration of your firewall/router. You would also have to make sure the gateway information is correct on your dreambox so it can route the packets correctly.

However, I think you'll find you don't have nearly enough bandwidth to achieve this. I believe that cable modems have a maximum transmit speed or 128kbps, even if your on ADSL the upperlimit will be 256kbps. The big selling point of broadband is the download speed.

For the amount of information your dreambox transmits to view live streams via the web interface would be somewhere in the region on 8Mbps. I am guessing to what the actual bandwidth would be but I wouldn't imagine I am far off.

It was a good idea though, I thought of trying something similar myself once.

Trooperboy

trooperboy said:
Morning ajones1722,

Yes it is very possible to stream your video over the Internet, most of it would be down to the configuration of your firewall/router. You would also have to make sure the gateway information is correct on your dreambox so it can route the packets correctly.

However, I think you'll find you don't have nearly enough bandwidth to achieve this. I believe that cable modems have a maximum transmit speed or 128kbps, even if your on ADSL the upperlimit will be 256kbps. The big selling point of broadband is the download speed.

For the amount of information your dreambox transmits to view live streams via the web interface would be somewhere in the region on 8Mbps. I am guessing to what the actual bandwidth would be but I wouldn't imagine I am far off.

It was a good idea though, I thought of trying something similar myself once.

Trooperboy

Thanks for that trooperboy

hello, you can create a mms file to stream it with windows media encoder or VLC player. You can use sopcast to ulpoad your stream.

Back