Streaming Media to your PS3

moosie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been having hit and miss success with using Vista/WMP11 to dish out my media to my PS3. Finally getting fed up with this system I investegated TVersity.

Now I know a lot of people use this already but I think this is a worthwhile post for the streaming noobs or challenged :)

So basically :

head to hxxp://tversity.com/home and download the latest build
then head here hxxp://www.digital-digest.com/articles/PS3_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page10.html for a great guide on setting up TVersitry for the PS3 (use 1920x1080 or 1280x720 for the screen size dependant on your TV)

If you want to do HD download content (ie mkv files) then all you need to do is follow this guide to convert the mkv files :-

I use txmuxer really good program and very quick, does a film of 8gig in about 10 minutes to m2ts format which plays on the ps3 no problem. Did lost on friday in 720p in 2 minutes.
The thing with ps3video is that it's encoding the video so ur going to lose some of the quailty, with txmuxer all it does is change the header of the file to a ps3 format.
it doesn't like some mkv files for some reason but from what i've done abt 90% have worked with no problems
what u have to do when u add the file u have to check the file info, if it's 5.1 then u'll just get a black screen with sound when u change it.
So u have to change it from 5.1 to 4.1 level which is easy to do within rxmuxer

Perform the following steps:

1. Open a .MKV file with AVC/AC3 content using the Add button
2. Observe the track info for AVC profile information. If it shows a value higher than 4.1, then use the Change level function to adjust it down to 4.1
3.Choose M2TS muxing as Output
4.Click browse button and choose the name and location for your file
5. Click Start muxing to begin

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR

Once you have the m2ts file move it into your media library folder and rename it <filename>.m2t and then get tversity to scan your media library to pick it up.

On your PS3 make sure you have media server connect ON under the network settings then under Video you should see TVersity, go into this and find your video folders. You should see your movies there - job done!

OK hope this helps.

Follow the guides given - exactly as I did - and you will be streaming xvid/divx/m2t/mp3 etc in no time. This is working for me over my 54Mbs wireless and is fine so you should have no probs :)

Cheers all,

Moose

i have the same setup but now use mkv2vob excellent programme dont need to rename anything just add to tversity and away you go

@moosie

being challenged or as my mum says" special ":) i followed your tut for tmux word for word with a 1080 mkv and it wouldnt stream ,tversity and ps3 found it but it wouldnt play . i have been lookin around the forums and i think 1080 needs transcoding so i will try mkv2vob just wonderin if you have had success with 1080 m8

if you were haveing probs with media shareing you should of just read the sticky at the top
that has everything you need to know
bobo:BLOBBY:

sorted it by creating a vob file however im not sure 54 kbs wireless is enough to stream at 1080 :( it keeps stopping

sorted it by creating a vob file however im not sure 54 kbs wireless is enough to stream at 1080 :( it keeps stopping

You really need to be hard wired for streaming HD files, I know certain low bitrate tv episodes are AOK to stream wireless but when you go to 1920x1080p then this is where the real problem starts even a transcoded MKV 1080p file could have upward of 30mbps + video bitrate in certain parts of the film where needed.

i would also investigate the possibility of connecting an external USB hard drive far more simple if hard wired streaming is a no go.

copied the file (all 13 gig of it) using tversity and it plays fine but will look into the ext HDD to be honest i cant tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on my 42" screen

guys - i stream some stuff now and again but then bought a 160gb Western Digital external drive. Never had to look back!
:D

Only thing with external drives guys are you are limited to 4gb file sizes due to having to be formated in fat32 so alot of hd files are well in excess like hybrid32 transfered one over which he says was 14gb which means he would need to have film split in 4 which is not the greatest

Back