Stream Amazon music on NAS or Pi

gadgethome

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My Media for Alexa installs a tiny media server on your computer that integrates with the ease and power of Amazon Alexa to give you voice control over your media collection. My Media lets you stream your music collection to your Amazon Echo or Amazon Dot without having to upload all your music collection to the Cloud

Free to try for 7 days then its $5 a year.

My Media for Amazon Alexa

Just trying on mine and seems to work well. Saves you having to upload albums to Amazon each time.

Thanks.

I did try Mymedia and paid for it but found it to be very lacking, for instance I could play just 1 track I had to play a full album. Not sure if they've updated it since tho.

You can do the same with the free version of Plex and it doesn't cost a penny. Plex lets you play individual tracks from your NAS.

I have the plex server running on my Qnap NAS with around 6500 albums. I use the plex skill with Alexa to play the music directly from the NAS. I've never paid for the full plex premium.

Unlike Mymedia you don't need any program running on your PC.

Thanks.

I did try Mymedia and paid for it but found it to be very lacking, for instance I could play just 1 track I had to play a full album. Not sure if they've updated it since tho.

You can do the same with the free version of Plex and it doesn't cost a penny. Plex lets you play individual tracks from your NAS.

I have the plex server running on my Qnap NAS with around 6500 albums. I use the plex skill with Alexa to play the music directly from the NAS. I've never paid for the full plex premium.

Thanks. Didnt think about trying plex. I will give it a try :)

Thanks.

I've installed Plex on my Nas server and music works well. However cannot seem to get it play videos directly on my nas/tv(HDMI) using alexa. When I tell alexa to play a tv episode it starts it on my pc web browser and not on my home theatre on my TV. Any suggestions how to set the tv as the default player?
Thanks

Sorry I have never used it for video. I use Kodi to play video files directly from my NAS, I only use plex for audio through Alexa.

I watched Paul Hibbott's youtube tutorial on how to get Alexa to voice control Kodi, by making your own skill, and I use that method.

I ended up installing the Plex app on my LG tv and was able to set it as the default player. I can now get alexa to start my tv episodes. Seems to work really well so far.

Back