Strange electrical light problem

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of my lights are flickering in the house like a bulbs are on their way out but there not.

First I noticed an under cabinet strip light in kitchen flicker then the other cabinet started to do it so I thought, must be wiring.

Then the bulb fridge light started to flicker... I thought wtf but even stranger we have 2 beside lamps on a four gang the touch type on/off and both them stated to flicker. I changed bulbs over and the same.
Then the final straw was the upstairs landing light flickered tonight.

I'd say it's been going on for a few days, any ideas as to why ?. I've never heard both lights and sockets doing it.

I would unplug all appliances and see it the problem persists with the upstairs lights , strange how it's affecting the lights as well as that's a separate line going into the fuse box ?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's the whole house by the sounds of it and that's why the side lamps are flickering as well.

The only thing I've changed recently (beginning Dec) is the hall and landing ceiling lights and sockets so I'll go over them tomorrow make sure there OK.

I'm gonna go over all the rooms as well and suss what these lot have plugged in. Half the time there's stuff plugged in I don't think they even know what they are.

I just watched a UK YouTube were an electrician went to a property with the identical problem as mine.
When he tested the incoming at the breaker it bounced 220v to 240v.
He contacted whoever they do and the sparky thought there might be a "grow" in the area good old cannabis,
Do for me!! Id just need to find out were and make friends

Check with neighbours to see if its a power outage malfunction or what if they are ok must be your problem

A number of years ago in a place not too far away a local estate had ongoing issues with lights flickering and getting brighter and it was a substation sending out like 260v and nearly started house fires.

Checking neighbours first to see if its local or yours only.
Unsure if houses have a safety device to stop this.

Joking apart, got up this morning and everything that was on last night was on and no flickering.
I'll ask a few neighbours later on. I do know a neighbour round the corner had electrical work bang outside his just before Christmas.
I don't know if it's a coincidence but two neighbours have had side exentions and by the looks of it one of them has had their electric and gas supply relocated to boxes on the extension.

This problem has only just started I'd say no longer than the new year.

Right I messaged a neighbour a good m8 he's out early doors for work, he said he noticed a bulb flickering in he's house the other day thought it was a duff bulb then kids said their lights was flickering so it must be a street problem.

Should I report it or wait and see if it persist ?

Make sure the next door neighbours are not growing ermmm anything and teefing your leccy man.

Half the street went off about 7ish so I phoned them up they said their doing work at the substation. It was off for roughly 10 minutes but it will be on & off over the weekend.
A third neighbour who'd been at work said he's lights had been flickering past week or so.

Yeah sorted, the electric never went off over weekend and no more flickering so they must have sorted it

Back