Steam - intermittent game access.

mcgirt

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I downloaded portal the other day, as it was free, and played a few levels. While on Steam I decided to install Counter-Strike:Source as I used to love playing it.

It installed OK but I've been having lots of trouble getting onto servers. When I try to search for servers it sometimes only shows about 12 of them and when I try to connect it say 'server not responding', then waits and tries to connect before failing 'after 4 attempts'. If I refresh again it will display lots of servers (sometimes) but still tells me 'server not responding' when I try to join a game.

I've checked online for answers and opened the recommended ports on my router but I still only occasionally get on to a server. I thought it was my firewall but all looked OK as far as the settings go, I even tried it with my firewall switched off.

Has anyone had this or a similar problem or know how to fix it? It's really annoying as the games of CS I've played have been great and now I really want to play it, typical!

I've tried uninstalling Steam and CS but this has made no difference. I'm running Comodo FW and a Net-Gear router.

Cheers.

Just for the sake of testing put your PC into the DMZ setting in your routers config page.

This will allow everything through so we can see if its a router or PC issue.

:)

Thanks for the reply Messa.

I tried removing my router from the equation and un-installing the firewall, still no difference. I decided, due the time I'd spent messing about already, to just re-install windows. I've not had time to re-install steam yet but I should get round to it this evening. All I can say is it better bloody work now!

A friend told me today he had problem similar to this and had to copy over some steam files to resolve it. As I've already re-install windows I'm hoping I won't have to do that.

Cheers, rep added.

Do a search on the Steam forums. They are usually pretty good for things like this.

Only thing I would suggest is turning off peerguardian or programs like that ( if you use them ).

Back