Starview Signal

MFCGMFC

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a starview downstairs and i want to put another one upstairs how do i split the signal so i can run a cable upstairs i don't want to have to run a cable outside up the wall is there any way of doing it?

Cheers

Hi folks

I have a starview downstairs and i want to put another one upstairs how do i split the signal so i can run a cable upstairs i don't want to have to run a cable outside up the wall is there any way of doing it?

Cheers

Use a 2 way splitter and run the new cable internally?
You may have to use mini trunking if you don't want decoration damage.

i would rather not use trunking but i have a 6" pipe chase in my hall outside my living room i could run the cable along underneath the floor but would it b safe to run it up the pipe chase there is 4 pipes in the chase leadin up 2 the boiler upstairs then i could run it along the skirtin board in that room up to the tv but would it b safe to put the co-axial cable in the pipechase

i would rather not use trunking but i have a 6" pipe chase in my hall outside my living room i could run the cable along underneath the floor but would it b safe to run it up the pipe chase there is 4 pipes in the chase leadin up 2 the boiler upstairs then i could run it along the skirtin board in that room up to the tv but would it b safe to put the co-axial cable in the pipechase

You shouldn't really run alongside mains cables for 2 reasons.

a) The potential of interference though if you use high quality shielded cable (RG6 etc) then it probably won't cause that much of a problem.

b) IEE Regulations (BS7671 Electrical) states that you can't run band 1 and band 2 cables together, there must be a 50mm gap between the cables. If they are to be run together then all cables must have insulation rated for band 2.
Basically that means if there was a fault and somehow the coax ended up carrying 230volts then the insulation must be rated to do so and it isn't.

In reality many people do just as you suggest and don't experience problems though it's down to the individual.

Back