Starting up a web site?

nick1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Please can anyone help me? I would like set up a web site but i dont know were to start. The web site will be a shop. Can any one help me please. Thanks

You need to consider many things when starting up a website, such as the domain name, where the website will be hosted, what the topic of the website will be, how many people you want (traffic) etc...

You say you want to create a shop, but what kind of shop? Is it a personal or something much more on a bigger scale.

You can have a look here for more information about creating your first site.

There is a few things you'll need Nick.

1. A website (are you designing this yourself?)

If yes, then you will need software such as Dreamweaver to design it and have fair knowledge on how it works. There is plenty of tuts here and on the web to get you going though.

2. An FTP program (I.e. Cuteftp etc)

3. A host server & Domain name

You'll need to sign up to a host server so that you can upload (Via FTP) your website and any changes you make to it. Most hosts will charge an annual fee for webspace. Some offer you a domain name too I.e. Nicksshop.com

Don't worry too much about the size of space they offer you as long as its reasonable. If you need to use images in your website, they can be uploaded to photobucket or fileden and linked to your site.

I have done a couple of basic websites using:

Dreamweaver for Design

Nameroute for domain name and Webspace and Core FTP for file transfer

Obviously you'll need a bit more info to set up FTP's and Dreamweaver but this is the very basics you should go and get :)

In regards to the web host service, an offer with 1gb web space and 10gb bandwidth is more than enough for now, but remember to choose a company that will allow an upgrade if your traffic increases overtime.

go to www.brinkster.com and sign up for a free package or a cheap one.

They will handle the domain and the hosting for you, plus its in dollars so dead cheap. There are tons of website builders there for free, as well as loads of examples to get you started. They offer auto installs for wordpress and Joomla, so you cant go wrong.

they do seem to be good value for money, I got a pro package for $75 about 2 years ago and it has done everything I have needed it to so far. Ever since I started using them (the free one in uni 7 years ago) the product they offer has only ever got better.

*This web hosting package price requires a 24 month sign up. Free domain name for the first 12 months only. Domain Names must be registered within 30 days.

So, if you want a domain name; you'll have to be a loyal customer ;)

Thanks for all your help. I have asked same companys to do it for me but they went to much money.

I have sent you a PM mate, we should be able to offer you a low cost solution

Back