Stage 1 (setup/install linux)

ok guys i have never ever looked at anything like this before how do i set-up the virtualbox i have gone in to it followed the set-up recomendations for memory usage picked dynamic for the drive size and when i power it on now i get

Fatal:no bootable medium found! system halted

what am i doing wrong please i will apologies now for any stupidity

Ok going off memory so might not be spot on lol
First make sure you have unrar'ed the ubuntu files and you should get an iso file,
Ok then when you have the main virtualbox window open there should be a settings tab,in there you will find settings for cd-rom drive,
just tick the box to enable it and then chose the iso option in there and point it towards it,
It should become obvious as you progess through the options.

Lets know.

Have a look at the pic m8.

Last edited:
hi thanks when unraring the unbutu i dont have an iso file i have loads of files called
rat.vmem
rat.vmdk

i has iso buster on my lappy so iso usually show up straight away ill try re downloading it and see if it makes any difference

Thanks for your help

Ok you have downloaded the one in the first post?
If so thats for VMware,
the one in post 13 is for Virtualbox.
Lets know m8.

If you do download the virtualbox image then ignore my iso instructions above,in actual fact ignore them anyway as I have just realised they are actual virtual harddisk images.

So when you are setting up virtualbox or vmware (depending on which one you downloaded) from scratch when it gets to the setup harddisk option just select existing and point it to the unrar'ed downloaded image.

Sorry if I gave you confusing advice earlier m8 :proud:

ok so now im confused lol (but its not hard to confuse me) so im running sun virtual box which ubuntu should i get the first or the second please

thanks i have just d/l it and its unraring as a ubuntu1.vdi

so from what i can gather when asking for a drive i aim the option at this file?

ok thanks ill try get as far as i can now on my own thru reading see how long that lasts lol

ok so no more than 15 mins later im stuck lol i have now set-up the virtual box and logged in with user me password me and have like a virtual computer up with several files do i know look at stage 2 ?

ok so i have now read the start of part 2 and started the terminal so i pressume this section is now complete ill ask everything else in part 2

Thanks

most things are copy and paste from section 2 :)
but will always point you in the right direction.

Back