Stage 1 (setup/install linux)

ellie1998

Inactive User
Reaction score
Last edited:
I would actually recommend Virtualbox over VMware now.

VMware is getting very bloated IMO. VBox is much more streamlined and user friendly.

Cheers cydine will have a look at it now.
going to put this on hold while I setup a linux and will post the links later.

Last edited:
tbh, for compiling images etc I'd go with CoLinux. It wont run any of those fancy gui's etc but it gives you almost full speed for command line linux under windows. It reduced the dreambox initial build time (all cross compile tools etc) by nearly 60% as compared to vmware type solutions.

here is a preconfigured ubuntu it is an old one but ready to go

Thanks. Could you give a quick summary please of what is included in the 'pre-configured' distro compared to a clean install we might do ourselves.

Cheers

Haven't used this one myself but I would imagine it includes all the necessary programs for fully compiling an image from start to finish,
Depending on how old it is it may need updating as you go,but cross that bridge when you come to it.

Heres a quick copy and paste from pt-1's dbox bible outlining what's required in your Linux environment in general.

Build System Prerequisites

The prerequisites on the host for building tuxbox images can done on almost any Unix/Linux system with some 2 GB of free disk space. I personally use ubuntu/gentoo as they are my favourite linux distro. I have helped people on SuSE and ReadHat systems and know it builds fine on them too. I once had it running on cygwin but it takes ages to setup and is not for the faint harted.

The official tool requirement and versions at the time of this writing this document are in the following table:

Tool
Required Version
cvs
autoconf
2.57a
automake
libtool
gettext
make
makeinfo
tar
bunzip2
gunzip
patch
infocmp
gcc
2.95 or >= 3.0
g++
2.95 or >= 3.0
flex
bison
pkg-config
wget

The build process will automatically check some of these requirements. If you are missing one of the programs, of if your version is older than the above requirements your build could fail.

Note: Other tools are require like fakeroot, mksquashfs, mkcramfs, mkjffs2fs (or mkfs.jffs2), and, possibly, mklibs to be installed on your system.

Once you have checked out your CVS you can use the following tool to check that your system prerequisite are up to standard

~/tuxbox/tuxbox-cvs/hostapps/toolchecker/toolchecker.sh

Copyright © <05.01.2006>, < PT-1> Last Changes 11.05.2007
This help file has been generated by the freeware version of HelpNDoc

Christ on a bike! Not much then? So, pre-configured it is I guess ;)

cheers

been running the pre confg dvd for a while now on a p1 933mhz pc wiyth 768 ram in vmware. runs no problem at all :)

tbh, for compiling images etc I'd go with CoLinux. It wont run any of those fancy gui's etc but it gives you almost full speed for command line linux under windows. It reduced the dreambox initial build time (all cross compile tools etc) by nearly 60% as compared to vmware type solutions.

Fecking thing wont run in a 64bit OS,was looking forward to trying it too :(

Fecking thing wont run in a 64bit OS,was looking forward to trying it too :(

Not much of interest runs on a 64 bit OS :(

tbh, its not actually worth running one at this time - it spends so much time switching back and forward into 32 bit mode that most applications are actually slower !

If using a clean install of ubuntu then this command issued from a terminal will get you the tools you need to compile your first image,

Courtesy of cydine

These are all the additional tools you need to build the tuxbox cvs:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

this is a piece of cake..NOT
may as well have posted this in Swahili.
some day when i get better at PC stuff I'm gonna try this :)

hi guys i just got my open media box so now i get to play i have dowloaded the ubuntu and have the rar files on my desktop and have also tried to d/l virtual box im running a lappy on windows xp not that fast either dont see a virtual box version for xp any help please

ok so i have now installed virtualbox and registered lets see where i get from here lol

Back