spooler problem help

bill-5

Inactive User
Reaction score
I’m trying fix a spooler prob for someone, they can’t install a printer cos the spooler is not responding, I have tried turning it on via control panel but only getting the error below, would downloading a spooler fix solve this prob?

“ Could not start the spooler service on local computer
Error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start ”

Thanks for the reply v13, can you talk me through it, I’m not much better at this stuff than the person I’m trying to help. bill

go to control panel> adminstrative tools> services click on Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and set it to automatic then start it then restart print spooler

RPC startup type was set on automatic, box shaded couldn’t alter it there is a password on the next page “logon” any ideas?

trancemaster

Thanks for the input trancemaster, would using a recovery disc sort out this prob?:Cheers:

I'm not sure tbh. Services are one of those things that can be a PIA one minute, then work fine the next.

As a test, remove all existing printers and print drivers under Settings --> Printers --> (Right click) Print Server properties. Then set the spooler service to disable, then reboot. After a reboot, set the spooler as manual, then attempt to re-start it. Let me know if it still causes problems.

Thanks for the input trancemaster, the person I’m helping showed up with a recovery disk, I put it back to the factory settings all probs solved, recovery disks should be labelled idiot proof problem solvers. Thanks. Bill :drink: :Cheers:

services are a right headache sometimes, but best thing to do if you cant get a service to run is enable all services in taskmanager reboot and hope for the best.
then you can spend a few happy hours disabling the shit that you dont need

heres a handy page that tells you whats needed and whats not
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

but glad you got it sorted anyway

services are a right headache sometimes, but best thing to do if you cant get a service to run is enable all services in taskmanager reboot and hope for the best.
then you can spend a few happy hours disabling the shit that you dont need

heres a handy page that tells you whats needed and whats not
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

but glad you got it sorted anyway

I wouldn't recommend anyone to enable ALL services for any reason. some of those services are disabled for a very good reason.

Back