splitting vm cable

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to split my vm cable so one goes into my superhub and the other into my edison box

what is recommended splitter and cable type to get, dont want to get some cheap shit but want quality cable and willing to pay that bit extra

5-1000 mhz obviously

Konig is a reputable brand

any specific cable type, RG6 seem to be mentioned, Is that what VM use seen 10m on Amazon for 12 pounds so not bad price

I'm having a bit of a clearout and came across a splitter and connecting cable that may be of use to you. I'm stuck in home though awaiting a delivery but could post them tomorrow, no charge.
The connector lead would be ok from the splitter to your hub. These were as supplied by VM back in the day. One of their engineers used to supply me with boxes, modems etc; and for £50 would install cable without VM's knowledge.
Those were the days. Found these in a box still containing 9 brand new and boxed Ambit power supplies, I must have used the other 21 ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
I'm having a bit of a clearout and came across a splitter and connecting cable that may be of use to you. I'm stuck in home though awaiting a delivery but could post them tomorrow, no charge.
The connector lead would be ok from the splitter to your hub. These were as supplied by VM back in the day. One of their engineers used to supply me with boxes, modems etc; and for £50 would install cable without VM's knowledge.
Those were the days. Found these in a box still containing 9 brand new and boxed Ambit power supplies, I must have used the other 21 ;)

yes please I will PM you my details

more than happy to cover postage.

Just had a closer look at this splitter and realised that it is the one normally inserted into the internal VM connection unit. It will obviously do the job but don't you have an internal box with 2 ports already?
If so you could just run another cable from the left hand port to your set top box.

Just had a closer look at this splitter and realised that it is the one normally inserted into the internal VM connection unit. It will obviously do the job but don't you have an internal box with 2 ports already?
If so you could just run another cable from the left hand port to your set top box.

right now from the outside box I have a single cable going to my superhub

no splitter anymore as VM engineer took it this morning

yes me again, whats the job of the isolator on a vm line - it sits between the cable coming in from outside to the cable to the cable modem.

yes me again, whats the job of the isolator on a vm line - it sits between the cable coming in from outside to the cable to the cable modem.

I think it's main purpose is to protect the equipment from lightning strikes / electrical surges etc

Im probably wrong but i thought the isolator separated the broadband and tv signal bandwidth/frequencies.

Dunno but this was a recent response on the VM support forum from somebody asking if they could move a box from downstairs to upstairs without calling an egineer.

The isolator is needed in case of surges from lightning etc. If this is removed then your protection is removed. It will work fine if you remove it and just use the splitter. But you increase your chances of damaging your equipment ln the event of a lightning strike.

does the isolator also prevent noise from your internal wires going outside to the green box and then causing issue with signal for other people in the street

does the isolator also prevent noise from your internal wires going outside to the green box and then causing issue with signal for other people in the street

cant say for sure but ive not had an isolator in line for a year. i also have an edision mini, superhub 3 and a tivo box and 2 splitters and never had an issue

I think the isolator is a voltage clamping device, not sure if it is something like a gas discharge tube found in BT master sockets or a Metal Oxide Varistor, or similar, type. MOV might suffer from leakage?

I don't think they actually isolate anything as that would take some quite fancy active hardware to pass all that data, at that range of frequencies, over an isolation barrier.

Also if your unlucky enough to end up with degraded /weak signal after introducing a splitter use the well known auction site and look up the Technetix HDU-200 (2 way) or HDU-400 (4 Way), these are mains powered splitters with amplifiers as installed by VM engineers where signal loss is an issue (the smaller HDU-200 units are even VM branded).

The Technetix give roughly a 4db increase were as your normal splitters will loose you 2db so in theory your gaining around 6 db over a standard splitter.

...mine even with twin sundtek cable tuners on solo2 :)
How did you get 2 sundtek usb tuners to work on solo2?
I couldnt even get one to run autostart, it kept crashing the box if i turned on autostart. would work if i didn't enable autorun but of course that meant it wouldnt work after solo2 goes into and comes out of deep standby.

Also, couldn't get 2 to work, only one worked at a time. On openvix 5, latest.

Back