Splitting a cable feed

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I wanted to know about splitting cable feeds.

I know that you can have two types of cable lines coming into your house, the RJ6 and RJ11 or something like that where one allows a maximum of 3 splits and the other allows about 10.

I have the 3 splits one and i was wondering how i could get more splits out of it.

Also, how can i be sure that i have the right attenuation at the back of my STB so that my viewing isnt interrupted by random blank screens?

Cheers

the reason the splits are limited on a line is for the return path (talkback) on the items in use so only worry about this if more than 3 of your items send info back. for your signal levels you need to aim for about 30 snr and dont quote me but im running on 70 agc with no bother so id try for that. its a case of trial and error with different attenuators but i would just try without and see if everything works first.

thanks for the reply mate. U lost me on the agc part, but yeah i guess its worth it to try and see what happens first. I took out this forward path equaliser thing from the wall and replaced it with a splitter and now my screen sometimes goes blank while it tries to find the picture and sound again. i need to put that thing back on between the line and splitter.

i dont wanna split it too many times and mess up my broadband quality. i cant ask ****** media to do it can i? like take out a tv subscription for a temporary period and ask the engineer to create loads of splits so taht my house is future proofed.

i've split mine 5 times and i havent noticed a drop in performance of anything?

altho only 2 things talkback

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

thanks for the reply mate. U lost me on the agc part, but yeah i guess its worth it to try and see what happens first. I took out this forward path equaliser thing from the wall and replaced it with a splitter and now my screen sometimes goes blank while it tries to find the picture and sound again. i need to put that thing back on between the line and splitter.

i dont wanna split it too many times and mess up my broadband quality. i cant ask ****** media to do it can i? like take out a tv subscription for a temporary period and ask the engineer to create loads of splits so taht my house is future proofed.

Hi
My sister moved house arround xmas time
She was an existing customer so got a free transfer
When the engineer arrived she got him to split the feed 6 times 1 for each room
All done for free
Another mate phoned em to get bacic pack the £30 deal
After they fitted 3 lines he then cancelled his sub in writing
This was done within 7 days recorded of cause
Hope that helps

thanks all of you who have replied so far. this seems really promising. I will defo get this sorted when works start at my house. Always best to have all rooms cabled up.

Also gotta get network cabling in as well.

Regards :)

Okay I'm back now.

So I got the cable split to have 3 feeds so far. 2 are being used and one is spare.

I need to make another split so that I have a 4th feed - This will be used.

So do I need to get a VM engineer to get me a bigger line to my house from the green box or should I just risk it?

As said before, I dont want to affect the performance of my BB and "other" devices.

Cheers

just split it yourself mate

if things start to suffer just buy a booster :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back