Spirit distillation basic tut.

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I received a pm from magnu the other day asking for a basic tut for distillation.

Ok equipment for the wash.

2x 25 litre fermenters.
2x airlocks.
Large spoon or paddle.
Syphon i use an auto syphon much easier.
Thermometer.
Hydrometer.
spirit hydrometer.
1 trial jar.
Cleaner/steraliser.

Ingredients for the wash.

6kg of sugar (house hold sugar is fine, you can use dextrose but all it does is raise the cost).
Still Spirits triple distilled yeast.
Turbo carbon (some people say you don't need this i use it anyway).
Turbo clear 2 part finings.

Ok Now the method.

Clean and steralise all equipment that will come in contact with your wash, i use star san which is a no rinse contact sanitizer that kills in 30 seconds and obviously does not need rinsing off. It lasts ages too as 1ml of starsan makes 1 litre of solution.A good tip is to mix some up in a spray bottle andd you can then just spray on anything you want to sanitize.

Ok into your clean fermentor addd 6kgs of sugar to 2 litres of hot water to disolve the sugar. Then top up the fermenter to the 21 litre mark with cold or hot water adjusting the final temperature to 30.c It is important that the temperature is correct to hot and you will kill the yeast too cold and the yeast wont ferment. A degree either way iss not going to make a difference though.

Add the sachet of triple distilled yeast next giving a gentle stir. It is important that you use the triple distilled yeast if using an air still as if produces a better quality wash leaving you with a better quality end product. Put the lid on top of your fermenter and add an airlock. The airlock allows co2 to escape but keeps oxygen and other nastys out. Leave it for around 7 days to ferment.

Use a hydrometer to measure your SG and FG starting gravity and final gravity. This will allow you to see if your wash has fermented out it should be around 14% abv.

After 7 days add to your wash the turbo clear 2 part finings stir in part a leave for an hour then add part b. In 24 hours you will have clear wash that is ready to distill.

Ok now syphon off the clear wash into your secondary fermenter ready for distilling it can be stored for 2 weeks once distilled however you can store it in glass demi johns until your ready to add your flavourings.

Distilling the wash.

Im assuming that you have bought the still spirits air still which is what i have this part is dead easy.

Take 4 litres of your wash and add to the still.

Add your distillers conditioner and ceramic boil enhancers both of these aid in stopping a boil over so make sure you don't forget to add them.

Turn on your still it takes an hour to heat up and an hour to collect 700mls don't forget to put your collecting vessel under the spout.

Ok when you have collected your 700mls of spirit you need to water it down most essences call for 40% abv the spirit out of the still will be at 60% so add 300mls of water and bingo you have 1 litre of spirit at 40%

Next add the flavouring of your choice and bottle you can age it if you like or drink it straight away.

Forget about heads and tails using an air still as long as you use triple distilled yeast and filter with carbon your good to go. An air still produces a fairly weak spirit compared to reflux stills so don't worry about methenol using the method above.

Disclaimer it is illegal to distill in the uk without a licence however you can produce 2500 litres of ethenol fuel per year ;)

Drinking the spirit at 60% abv is not a good idea it is 120 proof and will most likely cause blindness brain damage or even death!

thanks for the tut sargie much appreciated

but wouldnt it be better in the homebrew section instead of the food and drink section

Rally good Tut, thanks. Going to give this a try as I received some spirit flavourings over Christmas, which I have added to cheap supermarket Vodka. They taste surprisingly good considering the cost about £3 or £4 to flavour about 1L.

I will follow this tut in the next week or so and report back on the results:banana:

Rally good Tut, thanks. Going to give this a try as I received some spirit flavourings over Christmas, which I have added to cheap supermarket Vodka. They taste surprisingly good considering the cost about £3 or £4 to flavour about 1L.

I will follow this tut in the next week or so and report back on the results:banana:

Wicked you can also make cherry,raspberry etc vodka using Berry's and sugar. The best stuff is the real cheap vody too.

Sent from my iPad using Telepathy.

Wicked you can also make cherry,raspberry etc vodka using Berry's and sugar. The best stuff is the real cheap vody too.

Sounds good, I have tried the Bourbon, Brandy and Tequilla flavourings which are really authentic and a good alternative to the overpriced brand label spirits.

I have brewed my own wine and beer which have yielded good results. Next step will be to try base spirit with the help of this guide

If you can brew wine and beer you can make spirits mate and like you say the flavourings are really good.

well got my air still guys won it on fleabay

just ordered the rest of the things to make my fist 6 litres

got my Suger form the pound shop 1.2kg in a bag so only cost £5 to make my first wash :)

Last edited:
Back