Speedtest

pipsqueaker

Inactive User
Reaction score
I did a download test at speedtest.net and got a result of 3.3meg

I then did the same test on 3 other sites and they all gave a reading of 1.3meg.

I have been using speedtest for a while now but am now having reservations about the site.

Anybody had similar experiences?

There are a lot of variances about speedtests. Even if it is being hosted by your ISP, you liable for intermittent slow downs due to other users, whatever routing is in effect at the time, the speedtest site and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Thanks Hamba,
I did a test on the site you posted and got a reading of 3049 kpbs.

Thanks Oneman,
I know there will be variables but I did all the tests within 5 minutes, that's what threw me.

I did like Speedtest 'cos you can do tests from a variety of locations around the world.

Cheers fellas

top line is for desktop
bottom line is wireless lappy
not sure if speeds are good or not

Last edited:
The one I normally use is:

http://www.speedtest.net (using the Dublin node)

My results are pretty much the same on this site as they are on Hamba's link.

On some sites, you need to clear your temp internet files, as they can often give false results.

Just tried the the Dublin Node = 3370

Speedtest Recommended server = 2971

Hamba's link = 3093

Joe's link = 3308

Just for a laugh I tried Okinowa = 593

Strange thing is I'm only supposed to be able to get 1 meg max.

Look at my result in my sig from speedtest. Thats on my 20 meg connection :proud:

Had a quick check early in the morning, speedtest was reporting connection at 13mb where as I was able to download newsgroup at full 20mb. Go figure.

I find these sites are all shite i just download as said above with my news server via grabit to get a true reading (which is always around 20 meg) if i use one of the sites listed the best i get is 14 meg ??.

I am surprised you needed the optimiser. I found that it had some effect on dial-up machines but no effect on broadband connections.

to be honest m8 at the same time i changed my network card to full 100 duplex so it could have been that .
but i do know that after about 5pm ish it does drop down to about 12-15 when everyone is home from school/work in the area.

Tested again today

Hambs's link = 145 kbps

Speedtest = 137 kbps

I HAVE NOT left off the nought at the end!!

Pathetic.

Just got 8976kbps Download and 601kbps upload speeds, while playing PS3 online and download a 100meg file using hambas link:proud:

got 62meg on speedtest.net earlier tho i agree they are usually reliable

Back