speed of ram ?????

CAROLANN

Inactive User
Reaction score
see this ram here >>>

DRAM Slot #2 1 GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

please correct me if iam wrong, but the "667" part means the ram mhz speed, dont it ??

and if so, in windows boot screen it should report the 667mhz ?? if so then my mates pc is reporting 533 which i would imagine is wrong.

can someone confirm please.

Yeah mate that is correct, there should be an option in the bios which forces the ram to certain speeds, this maybe set to 533. Does he have more than one stick of Ram, if so one could be 667mhz and one 533, so for them to work together the 667mhz ram will be underclocked to 533mhz.

Yeah mate that is correct, there should be an option in the bios which forces the ram to certain speeds, this maybe set to 533. Does he have more than one stick of Ram, if so one could be 667mhz and one 533, so for them to work together the 667mhz ram will be underclocked to 533mhz.

he took the old stick out and now only has the new ram in, two sticks of 667.

what is the option in bios that requires changing mate ?

what is the option in bios that requires changing mate ?

I couldnt be too sure of the exact option of his bios( do you know the make of his motherboard). It maybe something like RAM frequency or similar, just have a little exploration of the settings.
Lol i posted this as you just posted too.

I couldnt be too sure of the exact option of his bios( do you know the make of his motherboard). It maybe something like RAM frequency or similar, just have a little exploration of the settings.
Lol i posted this as you just posted too.

its an acer aspire 5315 motherboard, its a lappy.

hmmm, strangely enough, i just had a look in my bios out of curiocity for the dram settings etc and i cant see any, hmmmm ?? not that its my pc we'r on about, but i found it strange.

probably missed them and/or they are cunningly disguised under another section first.

Some motherboards wont show them, so that you cant play with them basically lol. They are all preset and thats that, but i bet there is a way round it.

Some motherboards wont show them, so that you cant play with them basically lol. They are all preset and thats that, but i bet there is a way round it.

yea, theres always a way round it as there has to be so that people can make changes etc, but i will post back and let you know how my mate gets on once he gets back.

I cant be too sure then how to change it, i know you will be able to, but how is a different question.

ive asked him is he sure hes not looking at the fsb speed (bus speed) of the cpu chip when looking at the notes on the bootscreen, cause as far as i can see that model has a bus speed of 533mhz and its the figure hes quoting, so iam waiting on him getting back to me again incase hes been looking at the wrong thing.

Ok, i went in my bios and turned quickboot off etc so that i could have a second or two extra to look at what my post notes in the bootscreen say on my machine about ram.

FRom what i could see mines says summit like "memory frequency of ddr2 800, so i would take from that my ram speed is 800mhz from that.

i have a fishy feeling my mate is defo looking at the bus speed and thats where hes getting the 533 from, still waiting on him getting back to me.

p.s
isnt there a utility or summit that lets you see the correct installed ram speed/frequency rather than trying to quickly read the boot screen ?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, hes checked the ram speed etc in the program "everest" and its reporting the correct 667 speed, wtf man, lol ???

So everest says correct but windows boot screen says different, hmmmmmmmmm ?

Back