Spaceports in the UK

TommyJo

New Member +
Reaction score
I was suddenly curious. When will the cosmodromes be built?
I heard that they want to create two horizontal launch spaceports and one vertical launch spaceport. Glasgow Prestwick, Sutherland and Cornwell.
The Cornwell cosmodrome seems to be ready for launches this year.
And the other two?

Sounds like media bollox tbh. There are a couple of old Daily Express stories about this and some vague press releases from ukspace.org.

And if you Google Cornwall Cosmodrome, you'll find b*ggerall apart from the same media nonsense and a story about a crashed Soviet rocket.

I am curious. Because lately there has been a lot of interesting news from the space industry from various British companies. Rolls-Royce and Boeing are developing a nuclear rocket engine. Other companies are trying to occupy the niche of small satellite launches.
And there is no cosmodrome?
Yes, VirginOrbit has already proven the possibility of launching a modernized aircraft from under the wing. Skyrora launched a small rocket from a mobile spaceport.
But there are also large missiles in development.

Recent attempts by some companies to carry out suborbital launches in new ways suggest that new launch sites are not always needed.
For example, Cosmic Girl. Successful launch from a modified Boeing.
There is also a space company that makes successful test launches from mobile spaceports.
It just needs to be scaled.
And that's all, you can make launches from any suitable place.

Back