sound card

andyboyrfc

Inactive User
Reaction score
i just reinstalled windows xp on my lads pc as he messed up a lot of things on the pc and it was basicly fooked. so after i reinstalled it the soundcard is not being detected in the hardware tab in device manager . i have tried unplugging the sound card and put it back in and was hopeing it would say found new hardware but still fookall. the sound was fine b4 i reinstalled xp . the card is a creative sound blaster but correct me if im wrong but when you put new hardware into the
pc the xp should detect it automaticly .
any 1 any ideas as av pulled what hair i had left out of my skull

cheers

your right m8 it should detect it automatically , have u tried putting it in to a different slot to see what happens then ?

Cheers

a did try that m8y but it was still the same am thinking of taking it to a pc repair shop to see if they can sort it cos am baffled with it

Dutcho said:
Is it listed in the device manager ? If it is just update driver for it m8 ;)

no m8 but what a done was remove the old modem that was doing fookall and put it that slot and hey presto it says found new hardware so got the driver needed and its now working fine

thanks for the repleys lads :Cheers:

Creative cards can be very fussy, they always like to be on IRQ5 for some reason....Spent many a happy hour (not!) fiddling with a SB128 card when I first went to XP...and several since.
By moving it to another slot, it most likely now on IRQ5, if it isn't and its working leave it alone...if you try and update the drivers again it'll tell you no creative card found..???wtf...bl@@by thing!

andy, even if windows does find the driver it will only install the hardware default driver and not the latest driver like you should use, unless of course you have all the latest windows updates which "might", and i say "might" include the latest driver for the sound card, but its very doubtfull.

You need to take note of the exact make and model of the sound card, go onto the manufacturers website, and then download and install the latest driver, if you dont then it will cause problems when you run things such as games etc, also, seen that you just installed windows, make sure you have the latest version of direct x installed and all the latest drivers for the graphics card and motherboard chipset drivers too or else you could get problems mate :)

thomson said:
andy, even if windows does find the driver it will only install the hardware default driver and not the latest driver like you should use, unless of course you have all the latest windows updates which "might", and i say "might" include the latest driver for the sound card, but its very doubtfull.
You need to take note of the exact make and model of the sound card, go onto the manufacturers website, and then download and install the latest driver, if you dont then it will cause problems when you run things such as games etc, also, seen that you just installed windows, make sure you have the latest version of direct x installed and all the latest drivers for the graphics card and motherboard chipset drivers too or else you could get problems mate :)

a got the excact driver a needed mick but av no got motherboard and chipset drivers but it seems to be working ok

ok andy, if you wanna get the latest motherboard chipset drivers and dont know what motherboard it is, you can run a wee program called CPU-Z, that should tell you exactly what type of motherboard it is, then you just goto the MB manufacturers website and get the drivers for it.

Sometimes the motherboard chipset drivers can make a huge difference etc especially if the system is having problems now and again, maybe even have probs running certain games etc.

what about the graphics card driver, hope you remembered about the latest driver for that too and not just take the pishy windows one, hehe.

anyway, cheers mate :Cheers:

thomson said:
ok andy, if you wanna get the latest motherboard chipset drivers and dont know what motherboard it is, you can run a wee program called CPU-Z, that should tell you exactly what type of motherboard it is, then you just goto the MB manufacturers website and get the drivers for it.
Sometimes the motherboard chipset drivers can make a huge difference etc especially if the system is having problems now and again, maybe even have probs running certain games etc.
what about the graphics card driver, hope you remembered about the latest driver for that too and not just take the pishy windows one, hehe.
anyway, cheers mate :Cheers:

a will give that wee program a run mick and a got the latest graphics aswell .
cheers m8:Cheers:

ps is this the site yer on about mick
http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

Back