sotmod guides and files

bennyben

Inactive User
Reaction score
ok in this guide i will show everything you need to do to softmod a 4.2e wii.

SD Dowload link http://www.2shared.com/file/8451020/c1fcb9c1/SD_online.html
SD2 Link 2shared - download SD2.rar

PLEASE NOTE THESE FILES ABOVE ARE NOT WORKING YOU NEED TO FIND THEM BELOW IN THIS POST!

PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT BENNY TALKS ABOUT WAD 1.5 IN THIS GREAT TUTORIAL BUT HAS INCLUDED WAD MANAGER 1.4 IN THE FILES AND YOU MIGHT NEED 1.5 TO COMPLETE THE TUTORIAL (ESPECIALLY LAST STEPS)

1) unpack the rar file SD
2)now copy this to the root of your sd card
3)put sd card in your wii and goto sd card menu bannerbomb should start automaticly
4)it should ask if you want to load boot.dol or boot.elf just click yes
5)this should bring up the hackmii installer
6)ok now install the homebrew channel
7)next install bootmii(as boot2 if possible)
8)next install bootmii ios
9)now install dvdx
10)when your done exit the installer hbc should now start
IF YOUR WII FREEZES HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON THEN SWITCH BACK ON
11)now put your sd card back in your pc and unpack rar file SD2
12)copy this to the root of the sd card
13)rename boot.elf to boothackmii.elf
14)rename boot_wadmanager.dol to boot.dol
15)ok now put your sd card back in your wii
16)whilst in the homebrew channel click home on the wimote
17)click load bootmii
18)ok now cboot2 should load and after a while you should see wadmanager 1.5
19) press a to continue
20)choose wii sd slot
21)highlight IOS249.wad
22)press a to continue
23)press left arrow on wiimote
24)select uninstall wad
25)press a to uninstall IOS249.wad
26)when your done press home to return to wii system menu
27)ok now put sd card back in your pc
28)rename boot.dol to boot_wadmanager.dol
29)rename cIOS38_rev-14Installer.dol to boot.dol
30)ok now put the sd card back in the wii
31)start hbc again and click home button when your there
32)then click load bootmii 1 more time
33)ok at the next screen choose do not reload ios go all the way to the left to find this
34)then choose disable
35)now choose network install
36)ok cios38rev14 should now be installed
37)ok now click home and go back to hbc
38)ok now select dop-ios and click load
39)press right untill you see IOS53
40)press a to select yes to install sig and hash check
41)ok now select IOS55
42)press a to select yes to install sig and hash check
43)ok now select IOS70
44)press a to select yes ti install and sig hash check
45)ok now we need to install hermes cIOS
46)start hbc again
47)start anytitle deleter
48)ignore the error you get and press 1 if needed
49)go to system titles
50) delete IOS222 and IOS223
51)exit the app now
52)on the hbc select the top application
53)select IOS249 for install
54)install custom IOS222
55)use IOS38(recomended)
56)no restart this application
57)install custom IOS223
58)use IOS38 merged with IOS37
59)ok now its time to install backup and usb launcher
60)ok boot to hbc
61)start wad manager 1.5
62)select IOS249
63)if asked here select disable
64)choose wii sd slot
65)hilight neo gamma r7.wad and install it
66)hilight usb loader and install it
67)when done click home button on wiimote

If you installed Bootmii as boot2 then also delete the Bootmii folder, otherwise it will load every time you switch your Wii on.

CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE NOW SUCCESSFULLY SOFTMODDED
YOUR 4.2E SYSTEM FIRMWARE WII ENJOY!!!!!

BIG THANKS GO OUT TO EVERYONE ON WII SCENE WITHOUT WHOM THIS
WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE RESPECT GUYS...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Wii soft modding guide for 4.2e system firmware

totally forgot about this step, u need to leave all of the files on the sd card except for the following, delete the boot.elf file and the wad manager.dol, and also go into the homebrew folder, then into private, then wii/title and delete the atkn file

sd download link 1 not working do u have another ?

totally forgot about this step, u need to leave all of the files on the sd card except for the following, delete the boot.elf file and the wad manager.dol, and also go into the homebrew folder, then into private, then wii/title and delete the atkn file

Hi bennyben,

Finally, a set of steps I can follow. :Clap: Thank You
I have Wiikey original 1.9s installed.
I am tired of burning my backups onto coasters, so a USB loader would be very, very helpful.

Can I still use your brilliant set of steps with the Wiikey 1.9s installed ?

I have looked at many, many other sets of instructions to softmod and yours is clearest, step by step. Some of the others refer to IOS250, is this newer / better or even required instead of IOS249 (as referred to in your set of steps) ?

Basically, I am asking if there are any updated files that I should be using in your set of steps and if there is any benefit to the updated files ?

For the Wiikey 1.9s, do I still need to follow all of the steps or can any of them be bypassed / burned onto a DVD ?

Kind Regards and THank You
Naresh
: thanks : :mexican: : thanks :
:emotions1

I am tired of burning my backups onto coasters, so a USB loader would be very, very helpful.

i have one of my wii's on a wiikey original 1.9s and never have a problem have you tried slower write speeds and maybe better quality media to write on or even a different burner ?? I use verbs with pioneer drive and imgburn never had a playback issue with wiikey on 1.9s.

just a thought

i have one of my wii's on a wiikey original 1.9s and never have a problem have you tried slower write speeds and maybe better quality media to write on or even a different burner ?? I use verbs with pioneer drive and imgburn never had a playback issue with wiikey on 1.9s.

just a thought
Thank you for the very kind message.
Most PAL backups work (imgburn 4x Verbaliscious) except for the NTSC jobbies. I have used RegionFrii to convert NTSC to PAL, but without success.

The USB loader steps shown at the top of this brilliant thread will allow me to try out backups without any waste and if the game is not as addictive as I had thought then there is no waste in time and materials.

Please can anyone with Wiikey 1.9s and PAL 4.2e who has tried these really beautiful, clear steps had success ?

If anything goes wrong is it still possible to boot from SD and put the Wii back to an un soft modded state / reset to start the softmod steps again ?

I found that Hackmii v0.6 will allow me to backup my Nand, via bootmii beta 5 and install HBC 1.0.6 and DVDx 2.

If I use Hackmii 0.6 can I start your steps at Number 11) ?
This way, I can bootmii from SD and use the restore Nand if something goes wrong and start again ?

Kind Regards
Naresh

try this MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service instead of brickblocker that had its support finished along time ago and i think is much better.

wiikey 1.9s on 4.2e fw should be ok running ntsc to pal region changed games (no issues here) could be your tv that has a compatability issue maybe ot the wii tv display settings... i had problems with SBB when it came out turned out to be a tv display setting causing sound but no picture.

if you have the option install boot2 and as ios on ya bootmii backup ya nand and key file and keep in a safe place as well as on ya sd card maybe ya pc hdd and burn to cd and email ya self to online mail server like hotmail etc. This will help restore ya wii if things go tits up but u can still cause a brick that is unrecoverable and nothing will help...there is always that chance.

hope that info helps... not tried the files yet been to busy but will be doing shortly if u havent by then i will post my results for ya m8 ....couple of days or so.

try this MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service instead of brickblocker that had its support finished along time ago and i think is much better.

wiikey 1.9s on 4.2e fw should be ok running ntsc to pal region changed games (no issues here) could be your tv that has a compatability issue maybe ot the wii tv display settings... i had problems with SBB when it came out turned out to be a tv display setting causing sound but no picture.

if you have the option install boot2 and as ios on ya bootmii backup ya nand and key file and keep in a safe place as well as on ya sd card maybe ya pc hdd and burn to cd and email ya self to online mail server like hotmail etc. This will help restore ya wii if things go tits up but u can still cause a brick that is unrecoverable and nothing will help...there is always that chance.

hope that info helps... not tried the files yet been to busy but will be doing shortly if u havent by then i will post my results for ya m8 ....couple of days or so.
Thank you, your brickblocker alternative suggestion is indeed much better and much appreciated.

The TV issue is a good point to look out for when trying out NTSC-PAL. THank You.

The info has really helped. But before I attempt brain surgery on my humble Wii, I want to learn as much about the process as I can as well as possible recovery methods if all goes, as you kindly put it "tits up". Including using the latest files as possible.

I was looking dreamily at the WODE but the tiny display and the tiny navigation joystick and approx 80 gbp inc shipping put me off.

I am still waiting for the Flatzii to be released and priced with the Flatmii but this may be a while yet and the navigation of the backups with Flatzii is a mystery. With Flatmii the backups have to be streamed to it via a PC connected to the Wii.

Could the softmod be reversed with the pre-softmodded backed up Nand, in case I like the Flatzii+Flatmii Combo ?

Kind Regards
Naresh

If anything goes wrong is it still possible to boot from SD and put the Wii back to an un soft modded state / reset to start the softmod steps again ?

I found that Hackmii v0.6 will allow me to backup my Nand, via bootmii beta 5 and install HBC 1.0.6 and DVDx 2.

If I use Hackmii 0.6 can I start your steps at Number 11) ?
This way, I can bootmii from SD and use the restore Nand if something goes wrong and start again ?

Kind Regards
Naresh

Sorry for the Newbie question. Further exploration found the following steps to backup the NAND prior to step 11) of bennyben's excellent guide.
Extract found at :
HOWTO: Install The Homebrew Channel, DVDx and Bootmii Ade's Softmodding Wii blog

"11. Once all 3 have been installed select to keep going back and to return to the main menu and exit the installer. You will be placed inside the Homebrew Channel, which at this stage the only apps you will have listed is the Bootmii Configuration Editor. Press the home button on your wiimote and select exit to return to the main Wii system menu. If you are asked to perform an update to the Homebrew Channel at any point it is safe to do this.

***If you was unable to install bootmii as boot2 the following steps are not applicable to you, I now recommend you install an application called preloader which will also help protect your Wii from a system brick. Click here for instructions on how to install Preloader with details of how you can still backup and restore your NAND. If you was able to install bootmii to boot2 then continue on with the guide below***

12. For this stage you need to ensure that your SD card has at least 580MB of free space.

Reboot your Wii. When it next comes on you will have a grey screen with 4 icons. At this stage of the Wii you will be unable to use your Wii remotes as they have yet to sync with the system. So to navigate the menus you need to use the buttons at the front of your Wii. The power button allows you to toggle through the menus so you can highlight which option you want. And the reset button selects it. So, press the power button until you hover over the settings icon (furthest on the right,) and then press reset.

13. Hit reset on the backup to SD card option (the first icon on the left)

14. Press Eject to start the NAND backup, and then press reset to continue. The Wii system will begin to backup to your SD card. This will take 5 or so minutes to complete, so go and make a cup of tea.

You now have a backup of your NAND. It is advisable to also back up the nand.bin file that will be created at the root of your SD to a safe place on your computer also, so you have a backup, of your backup!! Should you brick your Wii in the future you now have the bootmii safety net of being able to restore your System back to where it was at this point in time.

Note that Bootmii will only ever use the nand.bin filename, so if you create another nand backup it would erase the current one on your SD. If you would prefer to keep the existing nand when you want to create a new one, be sure to rename your old one to something that’s relevant to you.

15. Now, reboot your wii and press the power button to select the homebrew channel and press reset to select it.

21. In the homebrew channel run the Bootmii configuration editor application.

22. Choose the video mode that is correct for your system, If you are unsure leave it at auto, select where you would like your Wii to autoboot too, if you would prefer it loaded to the main wii system menu, then select system menu. Then select the boot delay. I usually select 5 seconds. Then choose exit saving changes.

Now when you next power cycle your Wii the Wii will auto boot into the Wii system menu after 5 seconds, so you don’t need to faff about with the power and reset buttons unless you need to boot into the homebrew channel or restore your nand because you have bricked your system. But you give yourself 5 seconds to get over to your Wii and press the necessary buttons to get to them.

Your Wii is now ready for using Homebrew applications. Lots of free games, applications, utilities can be downloaded to your Wii via the Homebrew Browser which has been included in this pack and can be loaded from the Homebrew Channel."
------------------------------------------------------------
Then continue with step 11) of bennyben's excellent guide.

I am working up the nerve to try it all.
I am first prepping the SD cards (formatting + error checking) and sterilising the instruments with a bottle of vodka, for medicinal purposes and Dutch courage. Just kidding, the Vodka would kill off the little grey cells that I am going to need.

I don't mind admitting that there is a lot of fear and trepidation, which is encouraging me to over prepare. The thought of Wii Coverflow is very tempting.

Prior to installing my Wiikey ver 1, a couple of years ago, I spent a couple of weeks looking at lots and lots of forums to learn from others successes and failures as well as learning to solder with a semi steady hand.

Kind Regards
Naresh

hi there. just like to say this is an excellent guide. the only problem i have is that while im trying to install neo gamma i get the following error

[+] Opening "Neo_gamma_R7.wad", please wait... ok!

[-] Installing WAD, please wait...
>> Installing ticket... ERROR! (ret = -2011)

Press any button to continue...

can anyone explain to me what i need to do to sort this?
any help appreciated & thanks in advance.:CRYBABY:

hi there. just like to say this is an excellent guide. the only problem i have is that while im trying to install neo gamma i get the following error

Having the same problem here, everything else went like a dream. Any suggestions????

Have you tried loading the USB loader GX without any problems ?

Alternatively you could have a look at NeoGamma below :
NeoGamma R7 Autoboot - GBAtemp.net

Kind Regards
Naresh

Hi,

Is Rawdump 2.0 the latest / fastest / most reliable for a LG drive on a PC as I am having issues backing up dual layer ?

Kind Regards
Naresh

try using wad manager 1.5 to install those, use google to download it and just replace the folder in apps called 'wad manager 1.4' with the one you download

I found this at Error Index, I hope it helps :
Error index - If you get an error, the solution is here!

2011:
Installation Error Most likely installed incorrect or out of date IOS.

Kind Regards
Naresh

you people getting -2011 are you doing this bit right

21)highlight IOS249.wad
22)press a to continue
23)press left arrow on wiimote
24)select uninstall wad
25)press a to uninstall IOS249.wad
26)when your done press home to return to wii system menu

:lsabre:

Hi,

Is Rawdump 2.0 the latest / fastest / most reliable for a LG drive on a PC as I am having issues backing up dual layer ?

Kind Regards
Naresh

goto the wads section and get the wad for disk dumping and dump from ya wii straight to ya pc desktop over wireless its faster than rawdump and no special drive needed :)

Back