Sony shows off PS3 update 2.4

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
Sony has done a new video to show off some of the features you'll be able to enjoy when the next firmware update for PS3 is released.

You can watch the video over on the US PlayStation blog. In it, bossman Eric Lempel talks about custom soundtracks and confirms the introduction of a Google Search Bar. He also demos the feature that lets you access the XMB bar in-game.

A second video showing the new trophy system is promised "shortly", while the actual update is "coming soon".

By Ellie Gibson
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=163824

The trophy system will be a huge hit, I know I enjoy the Achievements on the 360

I wonder if we'll get mkv support. :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

Persoanlly i think the trophys is a bit of a gimmic but i love the in game XMB having to exit out because i forgot to pair up my bluetooth headset will be a thing of the past lol!

Well this is a good upgrade and about time, In-game xmb, ability to put on your headset while in game, playing your music instead of the games soundtrack (been waiting to see if they implemented this) and trophies. All we need now is HOME :proud::banana:

I was surprised to see that the PS3 didn't already allow you to play your own music to games, 360 has had this from launch.

@ Joe1989, the Trophies grow on you mate, at first i wasn't interested in the 360's achievements but they can become addictive and you find yourself aiming for them after a while. :)

this is a good update. roll on wednesday for the update

I want to chip my PS3 if it ever becomes a reality, should I upgrade to stay as I am?

I believe there are ways to roll back the firmware, so I will personally take the update on wednesday

i would take the update also. its too much of a major update not to take it.

Sad PS3 types ;)

XMB finally matches the 360's Dashboard :)

(the truth is, the XMB actually now surpasses the 360, but I'll not say that, lol)

Last edited:
no music will be able to be played from in-game xmb....Trust me on that one! 100%

Hmm, isnt one of the key points for this update the fact that you can set up your own soundtrack?

"Will we be able to stream music (either via media server or USB drive) for custom soundtracks or is it relegated to music stored on the HDD?

Currently only music stored on the HDD is accessible in games that support this feature. We’d also like to reiterate that Firmware v2.40 merely enables custom soundtracks. It’s up to developers to include this feature in upcoming games (or to patch existing ones)."

oh well, I guess I will have to rely on my stereo then for all my custom music listening needs.

What a bind.

Back