Sony pulls PlayStation 3 software update

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Sony has been forced to withdraw the anticipated 2.4 PS3 firmware just a few hours after the update became available, because the new code has apparently been playing havoc with consoles.

Patrick Seybold, Sony's public relations bigwig, last night posted a message on the official PS3 blog admitting that the consumer electronics giant has “temporarily taken Firmware 2.40 offline” just hours after the update was posted.

But what’s the reason for such a drastic move? Sony said that it had received calls from consumers “experiencing an issue with installing the system software”.
According to a report on Joystiq, some gamers have reported that, while trying to install the update, an on-screen message said the update had already been installed.

The pull will be very embarrassing for Sony, as 2.40 had been hyped-up as one of the most exciting updates for the console yet. The update, which was withdrawn on the same day it was released, allows in-game XMB access and features a trophies section to reward dedicated gamers for their virtual efforts.

For the time being though, gamers will just have to sit and wait for Sony to fix the problems#

By James Sherwood
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/03/firmware_240_withdrawn/

Same here,installed no probs. also had no issues playing the games either.

no problems here, i think it was sorted out very quick then put back online

Which game were you playing? Ive updated but when I press the ps button I just get the four normal options. i think maybe the date in the top right corner is new but Im not sure. I dont see any difference :nopity:

Which game were you playing? Ive updated but when I press the ps button I just get the four normal options. i think maybe the date in the top right corner is new but Im not sure. I dont see any difference :nopity:

which game have u tried??? if u hold in the PS button, u get the normal 4 options (i think). if u just press it once u get the in game xmb

Just tried an update and it said that 2.36 that's on my system is the latest so looks like the updates still not back on line.

loggedonto the psn and no new update and ideas when it will be coming out?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I cant even get a connection to the PSN at the moment :( My PS3 isnt connecting to my router properly :(

what is this XMB that you all talk about?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

when your in a game You can now press the start button and see who is online, send messages and that without having to quit.
in the past you had to quit the game to do all that so it's a great thing to have been added to the ps3

when your in a game You can now press the start button and see who is online, send messages and that without having to quit.
in the past you had to quit the game to do all that so it's a great thing to have been added to the ps3

is it

GReat thank fcuk for that not before time bloody annoying haveing to come out a game all teh time

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Can i install it directly from a memory stick mate?

No security checks or anything?

Back