Sony PlayStation 3 vs Microsoft Xbox 360

daz999

Member ++
Reaction score
Hello guys, 'm not a gamer but thinking of buying a console, which one would you recommand?? and why?

regards

id go for the 360 i have one and their great plus you can get it flashed to play copied games and still play them on the internet

all down to what kind of games u like and what u want from the machine and also your price range i guess. the 360 is able to be hooked up to a pc for the whole media center thing plus the xboxlive is unbeatable at the moment for online playing and downloads the ps3 well its gona be amazing in 6 months time and also has a blu ray player better than n e that u can buy on the market now and there all around a grand so like i say i guess it depends on a few things iam happy to help with my views if u want to post more details and iam sure that everyone else will too

Hey Switch

It all depends on a lot of things to be honest. But one thing I would recommend (at this moment in time) is not to buy a 360. I'm not saying go out and buy a PS3 either but I'm saying I'd hang on and see how things are come up to december. Reasons below:

The 360 is getting a re-vamp. If you bought one now, come December your 360 will be out of date as they're bringing out an updated version. Can you wait that long? Maybe they'll delay bringing one out until next year? who knows.

That's a risk you might have to take. then again, the PS3 is readily available. I could go on and say a lot of good things about either console BUT it entirely depends on what you're looking to get out of the system itself.

You want to play games online, then go for a 360. You want to watch Blu Rays - get a PS3.

You want to be able to hook your machine up to a PC and sort out a Media Centre - get a 360. You want to help find a cure for Parkinsons, Alzheimers - get a PS3!

There are lots of pros and cons for both systems - it's all down to what you're looking to get out of it!

You'll find a lot of biased content about on the net from PS3 fanboys and 360 fanboys. You'll find that most of it is just a load of shite but again, you need to make that decision, we can't make it for you.

if you want a console for pure gaming the 30 is the best choice,if you want a subpar bluray player and a console thats not sure what it want to be the ps3,

Last edited:
thank you for the info guys, as many of you asked, 'm buying it purely for the games and have about £450(max) budget....

think 'm more in to 360 now, but should i wait till December ????

but its a long wait...

thank you guys....

If you're looking to get a 360 then yes - wait til december (but I don't give any guarantees that the new 360 will be out around then).

The changes from what I've heard on the grapevine:

- Built in HD-DVD Drive
- Bigger Hard Drive (but don't expect to upgrade the HD like you can with the PS3.
- Maybe they're working on the true HD 1080p resolution (does the current 360 have 1080i resolution?)

That's it really.

i'd do as madagasca says and wait a bit, so you can see how the market is turning out.......ie. the stability of each console.......and i suspect there will be a reduction in price of 1 of the console (i suspect 360). personaly i wouldnt jump head deep in like some people, but each to there own...........i'm hoping that the advent of the PS3 will force microsoft to bring down their prices and because they have already had the product in the market for a while, the newer revisions may be mor robust and more functionality.....bit if you got the wonga to splash out get both!!

ive a flashed 360,the graphics are amasing when hooked up to a hd lcd screen.
i play online a lot and its a great system,
you can get a 360 just now for under £200 including games ,so why wait.
ive got to opt for the 360 as the ps3 is way out of reach at around £450.

brickie: multi :

If you're looking to get a 360 then yes - wait til december (but I don't give any guarantees that the new 360 will be out around then).

The changes from what I've heard on the grapevine:

- Built in HD-DVD Drive
- Bigger Hard Drive (but don't expect to upgrade the HD like you can with the PS3.
- Maybe they're working on the true HD 1080p resolution (does the current 360 have 1080i resolution?)

That's it really.

Built in HD-DVD drive? Most sources (including MS) say that will never happen.
As for a larger hard drive, they just connect to the side of the 360 and are replaceable / upgradable so that wouldn't stop me buying one now and enjoying it.

Waiting until Xmas before buying a 360, lololol!!?!

Don't be daft, get out there and grab one, you won't be dissapointed.

ive not a ps3 just a 360 and a wii so id have 2 say them over the ps3

my cousin has just purchased a ps3,and to be honest at this moment in time the 360 is ahead in the gaming stakes.
i only use my 360 for gaming and it beat my expectations when i purchased it,i went to the launch of the ps2 back in 1999,so i was always waiting for the ps3 so i got a 360 last year as a stop gap,but i havnt even bothered entertaining a ps3 due to the xbox being a superb console.
but if i had a spare 500 to splash only on a console then i would get me self a ps3.......360 number one .....at the mo.

Built in HD-DVD drive? Most sources (including MS) say that will never happen.
As for a larger hard drive, they just connect to the side of the 360 and are replaceable / upgradable so that wouldn't stop me buying one now and enjoying it.

just did a search for this and I guess I was wrong. does that mean all 360'ers will have to splash out an EXTRA £100 or more to have High Definition movies.

I guess yes.

Yes mate.

Microsoft decided to let people add parts to the console as they required, SONY decided to add all the extras in advance - but at a cost.

I know this is the PS3 forum but I wonder if MS will bring out the BluRay Addon (if BluRay wins the format war)?

If they do - wonder how much this will cost?

This is interesting as Blu Ray currently is selling more than HD DVD movies. Well, that's according to reports online.

Well if HD-DVD went the same way as the Betamax then it would only make sense for MS to release a Blu-Ray device, but....would they!?......pride can ne a terrible thing.

lol

Back