Sensible Topic Sony Bravia ultra 4k ultra HDR

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A neighbour of mine has just bought one of these from currys. I had told her what to look for, and she had planned on buying a samsung we had both looked at and liked from Ritcher sounds. Her and her daughter decided ' on a whim' to go into currys and buy the samsung and came out with the sony after the saying the picture was better on the Sony than the samsung etc when the 2 salesmen compared them. I feel that they needed to offload them quick, so made all the other TV's around it shit! I feel, that the currys sales people have really done a number on them, granted that the sony was only £20 more than the samsung. The salesman also sold them 2, superfantastic, makes the tea & takes the dog for a walk, HDMI cables which look ok but are only 1 meter and she has bought a 55" tv. As you probably guessed the cables don't reach from connection point to the V6 box or Blueray player. The only thing it did reach to is the soundbar! Luckily she only paid £20 for two(still over priced imo).

Now i did turn on HDR, also sound is good out the soundbar, but the picture on the V6 box is blurry on normal tv. Tried 'The martian' ultra 4k i had on memory stick and thats great! They don't have an aerial on the house so can't compare it to normal TV but my v6 box looks better. The cable connected to the v6 box is rated for 4k, I've changed the settings and the highest the V6 box can go is 2160p would this make it blurry?

Last edited:
2160p is uhd isn’t it? Should be fine mate. Standard def does look a bit crap on higher spec TVs . Some sd channels look better than others I have noticed on my old v+ and my new sky q also .

If you've got a UHD tv, then standard def looks horrendous. It's due to the way that the UHD Tv upscales to the picture to 2160p. It just messes with the pixels.

There is no way a Sony Tv has a better screen than a LG/Samsung one. LG/Samsung are the manufacturers of said screens, they're part of some alliance with Sharp and some others. LG/Samsung TVs are by far the best on the market atm, and Currys are murder for selling unnecessary items or warranty.

I bought an iPad for my daughter at christmas, and was charged a £30 setup fee. I didn't realise at the time, so didn't question it. It was a sealed item, so what did they setup? Also the guy tried to sell me McAfee AV for the ipad, stating it was essential not to get infected with viruses and malware. I LOLd at the guy in the shop, and asked him to name me some viruses for iOS, he floundered completely, and followed up with "I guess you're not interested then?" Of course not mate, I dont need your shitty AV, or shitty advice tbh, thats why you work in Currys, and i'm in IT :)

If you've got a UHD tv, then standard def looks horrendous. It's due to the way that the UHD Tv upscales to the picture to 2160p. It just messes with the pixels.

There is no way a Sony Tv has a better screen than a LG/Samsung one. LG/Samsung are the manufacturers of said screens, they're part of some alliance with Sharp and some others. LG/Samsung TVs are by far the best on the market atm, and Currys are murder for selling unnecessary items or warranty.

I bought an iPad for my daughter at christmas, and was charged a £30 setup fee. I didn't realise at the time, so didn't question it. It was a sealed item, so what did they setup? Also the guy tried to sell me McAfee AV for the ipad, stating it was essential not to get infected with viruses and malware. I LOLd at the guy in the shop, and asked him to name me some viruses for iOS, he floundered completely, and followed up with "I guess you're not interested then?" Of course not mate, I dont need your shitty AV, or shitty advice tbh, thats why you work in Currys, and i'm in IT :)

Yes they also go her on warranty too. it started 3 weeks before she got the TV too lol

I have been reading, but can you make the v6 not upscale and let the TV do it instead? I heard that this could improve the situation in some cases?

I bought an iPad for my daughter at christmas, and was charged a £30 setup fee. I didn't realise at the time, so didn't question it. It was a sealed item, so what did they setup? Also the guy tried to sell me McAfee AV for the ipad, stating it was essential not to get infected with viruses and malware. I LOLd at the guy in the shop, and asked him to name me some viruses for iOS, he floundered completely, and followed up with "I guess you're not interested then?" Of course not mate, I dont need your shitty AV, or shitty advice tbh, thats why you work in Currys, and i'm in IT:)

And yet he still rammed you 30 notes for a setup fee........:eek::D

There are few companies I hate as much as I do Currys/Dixons. They are an absolute shower of con merchants.
I install lots of TV's for customers and have yet to come away from installing a Sony LCD thinking 'that's a good picture'. Hence the reason Currys (and John Lewis btw) have to push them hard, they do not sell themselves.
@fus10n If your friend still has the receipt best advice is to take the pos back to the POS, get a refund and get a better set elsewhere and come away with some change.

My idea of hell is to work in a place like it. I couldn't sell customer useless 1 meter cables to customers, and I'd tell people to wait until a few week before the manufacturer's warranty had run out before looking into any kinda extended warranty.

I'd be fire in less than a few hours

Hairy muff HD. He stung me for £30, I should've checked the receipt. But at no point was the setup fee mentioned. Stealth sales.

Maybe i missed something, but i think Hibby was saying you got stung for an extra £30 BECAUSE of the last statement......

Wonder if that's irony or sarcasm? I get those both mixed up

Maybe i missed something, but i think Hibby was saying you got stung for an extra £30 BECAUSE of the last statement......

Wonder if that's irony or sarcasm? I get those both mixed up

I got stung because I didn't check the receipt, and didn't question the price. I had a bag full of cash at the time, with presents to buy, so I wasn't really concentrating.

Had another run in with them the other day. I bought a pair of Wireless Studio 3 beats at christmas, £300 a pair. Discovered the other day they had some fault where they wouldn't pair with my phone. Rang currys to get a swap sorted, as they were bought online. To be told, that they dont replace anything over £150, and they would first need to attempt a repair.

I pointed out that it has a 2 year manufacturer warranty as per EU law, and I wanted a replacement. They point blank refused, and there was no budging at all. Even emailed the CEO office, and they stated the same, anything over £150 is a repair first.

John Lewis, I must've had maybe 10 pairs on the in-ear beats from them. One headphone always popped, and they swapped them no questions asked every single time. I wouldn't buy anything again from Currys, i'd rather pay a little more and get it from JL or another retailer.

Back