Sonos

Bronto

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just took the plunge and ordered a Sonos setup,Pick it up Saturday, I was just wondering if there is anything I need to know before setting up, any pitfalls etc ? it's cost an arm and a leg lol so want it to be as smooth as possible, @Mick @IANB I seem to remember you guys getting setup a few years ago ?

Cheers

lol secret mission yes :) I have been about, just not had a lot of time to post a lot

Plug in and play mate and you will love it. I would give the wife away before my sonos stuff lol
My set up is a playbar 2 play ones and a sonos subwoofer. Set up as 5 to 1 surround. also have another play one that floats from room to room.

Hi Ian, thanks for reply mate, I think I may have gone over the top a bit, I have ordered a Playbase, Sub & 2 Play 5's, I have a pretty large living room, not sure wether to downgrade it to 2 play 1's, someone advised me not to get the play 3's as they have not recieved any upgrades ?

As you can guess this is all new to me :)

Hi Ian, thanks for reply mate, I think I may have gone over the top a bit, I have ordered a Playbase, Sub & 2 Play 5's, I have a pretty large living room, not sure wether to downgrade it to 2 play 1's, someone advised me not to get the play 3's as they have not recieved any upgrades ?

As you can guess this is all new to me :)
I had a play 5 and to be honest i thought the sound from the play ones stereo paired blew the 5 out the water. It all works really well at low volume you get quality bass through the ones when stereo paired and adding the sub lifts it to another dimension. I leave my set up as 5 to 1 and play my music through that ie through the playbar sub and surrounds but for music i have the surrounds set to full and not ambient. Have a play around with the various options to get your best set up. You can also set up using "trueplay" that involves using your smart phone to assist in getting the best sound set up for the room. Its all easy to do and the sonos app guides you through it :) P.S. I would bin the play 5's and buy ones . The newer ones come with alexa built in.

Thanks Ian, I think I will swap the 5's for 1's, thing is I coud actually buy X3 1's (2 play 1's for the 5:1 and 1 new one with the Echo) and I I'll save £500, only Problem is I've pre ordered and paid for 2 flexon stands for the 5's, it's from Richer Sounds so I guess they will swap the stands (they are still at the shop)

I will take your word, so I will blame you if it's no good lol :)

Thanks for the advice mate

Top tip if you connect any of your units to a router via ethernet cable you can use any of the others as network switches. I have one of the play one surrounds close to my router so i connected it. I can use the 2 rj45 connectors on the playbar for wired lan Well i did when i had my zegema box lol

Picked it all up Saturday, went for the play 5's after a good chat with the guys at RS, I have quite a big living room and they said if it was for mainly 5:1 and movies the 1's would be ok but if mainly music the 5's would be much better (sales talk ? lol)

Anyway as you said a dream to setup :) but when it was all up and running it didn't seem that loud (Nowhere near my old Onkyo and Monitor Audios) I was quite disapointed, anyway a quick look on Youtube and I found had the Ambiant setting on instead of the Full setting on the Play 5's, OMG !!! it is fooking loud lol

Well pleased :)

Cheers @IANB

Stick on dare by the gorrilas and put the sub on :) Feel the bass never mind hear it lol

Back