Sonos set up

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Popped in Currys today mainly to look at laptops but spent most of the time at the sonos area
Couple of questions :)
How have you set yours up, How many and what speaker(s) did you buy
Are they spread around the house or in one area (living room)

I would just have in living area connected to TV
but also play music from them
I liked the sound of the Play 5, would you also have maybe 1 or 2 play 1 to compliment the sound of the play 5 giving it a surround affect

:)

In my living room I have a playbar sonos sub and 2 play 1's as surrounds this gives full 5.1 surround and sounds awesome on films and also music. I have another play 1 that is portable but mainly use in the kitchen. The playbar is also used as a network switch for my zgemma and smart tv as it has 2 rj45 connections . I have 1 of the play ones connected to the router to allow this. That's a wee bonus feature of it :)

Ive just noticed no Bluetooth which seems to me a bit of a backward step

If you use Spotify deezer or amazon music or even stream from your phone or nas you wont miss Bluetooth ;)

You don't need Bluetooth it will play from your phone via the app wirelessly.

What's the difference?

It's actually much better as it will play from your phone directly across the wifi network do you don't need to be in the same room, so streaming is much better for multi room playing

My setup,

Play 1 in my bedroom.
Play 1's in the kids rooms
Sonos connect amp with B&W in ceiling speakers in kitchen
Sonos connect amp with a stereo B&W speaker in ceiling - bathroom
Sonos connect (no amp) plugged into my AV amp in my living room.

All hard wired into my network switch except my eldest sons play 1.
@Rat, I do not personally see the point of Bluetooth as you wireless dock your phone :)

Also, I have installed maybe 20 playbars now. They are excellent; but personally I pair them with play 3's, but play 1s will work great.

Mick

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking Play 3 and Play 5 are upgraded models from 2015
Play 1 is still original 1st gen models

Not sure we don't install many play 1's

Loads of connect amps with B&W in ceiling speakers (great pairing for us)

We generally put all the connect amps in a rack in a cupboard and run 4 core QED speaker cable to the to each room.

So, they are installed directly into the main internet switch (never link more than 3 sonos amps in a daisy chain with RJ45 cat5 cable). As the sonos units two rj45 ports is a mini switch and you can have network problems because of this.

Mick

The play 1 is still the first gen model The 5 is second generation not sure about the 3. In my personal view I would buy 2 x play ones or threes and set them up as a stereo pair before I would buy a play 5 But if you are not thinking of getting a playbar at anytime then play five is ideal as you can connect into its aux port from sat box etc

Defiantly play 5 as what I've read they are putting it on par with the play bar

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just went out and bought the Play 5
And I have to be honest Im disappointed, it wont connect wirelessly to my TV :( gutted
now I have to try and take it back to currys and Ive taken the cellophane off that had a sticker on it saying I agree to the terms in the booklet before removing cellophane

£400 speaker that dont connect to my TV wirelessly and no Bluetooth isnt great imho

Just went out and bought the Play 5
And I have to be honest Im disappointed, it wont connect wirelessly to my TV :( gutted
now I have to try and take it back to currys and Ive taken the cellophane off that had a sticker on it saying I agree to the terms in the booklet before removing cellophane

£400 speaker that dont connect to my TV wirelessly and no Bluetooth isnt great imho
Unfortunately you have to use a phono lead into the aux input on the play 5 :( The playbar connects via fibre optic (tosslink)

If it can connect to the phone wirelessly I cant see why it cant the TV tbh the speaker is about 4ft from tv so would need a long aux cable

Thing is the spreaker I have now connects Bluetooth and or wifi and sound is good :) I just thought I was upgrading to something better lol

If it can connect to the phone wirelessly I cant see why it cant the TV tbh the speaker is about 4ft from tv so would need a long aux cable

Thing is the spreaker I have now connects Bluetooth and or wifi and sound is good :) I just thought I was upgrading to something better lol
Try the sonos for music mate once you hear the quality you might be swayed to keeping it ;)

Ive taken the cellophane off that had a sticker on it saying I agree to the terms in the booklet before removing cellophane

Would this be the booklet that to read, you have to remove the cellophane to get to as it's inside the box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No mate, the speaker itself is covered in cellophane,
As much as I loved the sound when playing music (really is top notch) playing through the TV was not good at all

I tok it back and the guy that served me totally agreed and said I need the play bar as the main speaker then add the play 5 and play 1 etc

at present I have a Samsung M7, and tbh the sound is good and I am happy with it via TV and playing music
I just thought I was buying a a better speaker but imo the Samsung has the edge for what I want and need

with the playbar and play1 you can make a surround system, you can also use a connect amp going into http://playbar ip:1400/wiredsat.htm

Back