Son jailed after father's tip-off

come on thou peeps.....

who would have done the same....?......

wouldn't think i could do that to my son...but hey my son wouldn't have had a gun in my house cause he knows better from his upbringing. me and my son are more best pals than family and if u can bring ur family up this way then it goes a hell of a long way......

I am loyal to principles. You know? right and wrong.

I think the father did the right thing. I'll bet there will be 'more' to his (the kids) behaviour than we are privy to.

If my children, for instance, decided to start killing babies for fun, I would go to the police. There is a limit.

This ' i'll defend my kids to the death' thing IS the reason why the country is going to piss.

Three years isn't too bad considering theres supposed to be a mandatory 5 year for firearm offences.

Even an air rifle over 12ft/lb will get you a five year sentence.

Who the hell has a 12ft air rifle?

You got it right, I couldn't give a fcuk what my kid had done and I certainly don't give a fcuk what you think, I would not shop them

That would make you almost as responsible as them, lets just say its fortunate that your kids turned out good. Its not prison rules where you are scum for dobbing people in, it's just the right thing to do (or are your family above the law).

If it was my son i would have gave him a good kick in the bollocks and told him that he faced being banged up for five years for being a prick. I dont think i would have ran to the police without trying to sort it out my self.
I see were Bronto is comming from i too would protect my kids but i think there would be a point were the line was drawn.

This ' i'll defend my kids to the death' thing IS the reason why the country is going to piss.

Just how do you come to that conclusion then m8 ? I would really like to know as as I have said I would defend my children/grandchildren to the death in any situation, my family have never been in any trouble so how does my attitude of "defend my kids to the death" contribute to the country going to piss ?

I would say the country is more likely going to piss because people no longer care or love their children properly and let them run the streets without them having any fear of any parental dicipline or punishment, and willing to put them in prison at the first sign of trouble

That lad with the gun is now in the prison system where any hope he had of becoming a good lad has now gone, 3 years in prison with all those bad criminals will make him 10 times worse not better, if the father had interveened he may of stood a chance,

I hope the father is pleased and can live with himself, personally I hope he's whole family disown him and never have anything to do with him again

Just how do you come to that conclusion then m8 ? I would really like to know as as I have said I would defend my children/grandchildren to the death in any situation, my family have never been in any trouble so how does my attitude of "defend my kids to the death" contribute to the country going to piss ?

I would say the country is more likely going to piss because people no longer care or love their children properly and let them run the streets without them having any fear of any parental dicipline or punishment, and willing to put them in prison at the first sign of trouble

That lad with the gun is now in the prison system where any hope he had of becoming a good lad has now gone, 3 years in prison with all those bad criminals will make him 10 times worse not better, if the father had interveened he may of stood a chance,

I hope the father is pleased and can live with himself, personally I hope he's whole family disown him and never have anything to do with him again
however, the father may have saved his son from gun crime - which could have resulted in either his death, or someone elses.

Prison sentences are not normally handed out to first time offenders, for someone that age an assesment would needed to have taken place first, it would look at his previous convictions and crimes.

At the end of the day, an illegal firearm and amunition have been removed from general circulation...

Prison sentences are not normally handed out to first time offenders, for someone that age an assesment would needed to have taken place first, it would look at his previous convictions and crimes
You will get a custodial sentence for firearms now days first offence or not, in fact the boy got off lightly with 3 years as it's a mandatory 5 year sentence to have a firearm with live ammunition, this would suggest to me he WAS a first time offender

however, the father may have saved his son from gun crime - which could have resulted in either his death, or someone elses.

At the end of the day, an illegal firearm and amunition have been removed from general circulation...

Both those statements would of been achieved by the father taking the weapon away from him and punishing him himself, he could of destroyed the gun or handed it in to the police anonymously

Obvisouly your not a parent then,if i found a gun in my sons/daughters bedroom the first thing i would do is ask questions,why wouldn`t you want to confront your own children?
The father found a gun and bullets in his boys room, it wouldnt have been a good idea to confront him about it would it?

Thats my view as well m8 i think you are spot on.
By far the most sensible post in the thread so far :Clap:
That lad is now doing an aprentiship on how to be a real criminal.
And before you all start i know gun crime is abhorant but the kid may have deserved a chance to sort it out by parental law. Ie dad gives him a good kick in the bollox to show him the error of his ways. And then the dad could keep him under close control.
In my view bad kids come from bad parenting they are not born bad are they? So this guy's failed as a parent big style.

the boy aint going to learn any leeson from going to prison all his dad has done is ruin his relationship with his son and mess the boy up more i put money on in 3 years headlines will say son kills father

the boy aint going to learn any leeson from going to prison all his dad has done is ruin his relationship with his son and mess the boy up more i put money on in 3 years headlines will say son kills father

Sad but potentialy true m8

You will get a custodial sentence for firearms now days first offence or not, in fact the boy got off lightly with 3 years as it's a mandatory 5 year sentence to have a firearm with live ammunition, this would suggest to me he WAS a first time offender

Both those statements would of been achieved by the father taking the weapon away from him and punishing him himself, he could of destroyed the gun or handed it in to the police anonymously
at the end of the day Bronto, it is a situation you will never have to face. From what you are saying, your children would never get themselves into a situation like this, and you would never have to face the choice.

Something to feel proud of I think.

Must of been a fookin hard thing to do but the best thing in my eyes.

If he had tried to accumpy his son it might of ended up arguing then him leaving, with the firearm, in a complete angry state of mind. Shame the judge wasn't abit more leniant as I think the message the son got from the dad had far more inpact.

I would agree with what karym6 has just said. You would never be in this position. Neither would I. None of my family have been in trouble either. My point was that it should not be a black/white clear cut case. There are shades of grey here. As my example earlier shows, there surely is a point where the correct thing would be to stop a loved one from continuing particularly heinous behaviour.

If this lad would have 'done' a Columbine and killed your children, and you knew his dad had previously taken a gun/bullets from him, and given him a kick up the arse instead of calling the police, would you have praised the father for not dobbing/grassing him to the police?

Bronto said:

I agree partly. There are a lot of bad parents out there, and unfortunately the degree of how poor they are increases with each inexorable generation.

But, I see a lot of scumbags (criminal families) who do the 'krays' style morality: the very basic neighbourly exchange when you go round and ask politely for a parent to speak to their child who has crossed the line and get an earful instead of reason, sticking up for their naughty children at school by arguing with teachers instead of teaching them how to behave, lying to the police when their children are in trouble instead of teaching their child the most valuable gift of all, personal responsibility.

The country is going to piss because no one takes responsibility for themselves, no one is happy with their 'lot'. People live an entitled existence where they expect vastly more then their ancestors whilst losing the very thing that made their ancestors great, morality, community, respect.

Bronto said:

Again I have to refer to my earlier example. How many times does the lad have to get a chance to be 'a good lad' until he kills somebody, possibly someone you love (touch wood it never happens).

Bronto said:

That's your prerogative. As I have said, I am loyal to principles. If a loved one egregiously betrays those principles they deserve to face the consequences.

Sorry I still think this could have been dealt with "in house" or "in family" the father imo definatley regrets he's actions now, I bet he wishes he dealt with it diferently, This lad doesn't seem to me to be one of the usual scumbags, just one who took the wrong path and needed guidence,

"A FATHER who turned his son into police after finding guns and bullets in his bedroom has blasted his three-year sentence as "harsh" and "stupid"

Mr Metcalfe said: "I think the sentence is too much - I would have preferred two years or 18 months"

Full story HERE

and HERE

Also some of the readers comments are interesting

Anyway enough from me on this, I don't think we're that far apart on our opinions Mozr, I agree with a lot you say in your last post, but I will never agree about handing in your own, Unless you have exausted all parental options first, I agree some are beyond help and need to be brought to justice, I just don't think this case was one of them

Last edited:
Maybe this article will shed some more light on the situation, it seems that there is no hard feeelings between them as the boy realised why his father done it

A MAN who called police when he found bullets in his son's bedroom said he would do the same again, even though the teenager could face five years in prison.
Paul Metcalfe (19) was arrested at his home in November after his dad, Mr Neil Metcalfe, of Hibson Road, Nelson, was horrified to find a box of 11 live bullets under the bed.

Armed officers raided his room and found a reconditioned 8mm Vendita pistol. He was arrested and charged with possession of ammunition and a firearm under Section 5 of the Firearms Act, which carries a mandatory five-year custodial sentence. He pleaded guilty, and will be sentenced at Burnley Crown Court on June 19th.

The former Primet High School pupil, a full-time carer for his disabled mum Ann, said he had become involved with the "wrong crowd" and ended up being pressed into looking after the gun for a friend.

Neil said: "There was no decision to make. I could have thrown them in the canal, but it could have really have hit the fan when whoever they belonged to wanted them back. If I'd said nothing, one of those bullets could have ended up killing someone and I wouldn't have been able to live with that on my conscience."

Mr Metcalfe handed the ammunition to officers, and told Paul what he had done.

"I was shocked he'd done it at first, but I calmed down while I was in the police station and started to realised why he'd done it," Paul said. "He wasn't exactly my best friend when I got out, but I wasn't his, either.

"I'm not looking forward to going to prison. I want to get back on track and make a fresh start - whenever that may be. It helps to know I've got my dad sticking by me."

Insp. Russ Procter, of Nelson police said: "Neil identified a significant threat to the community, and we commend the action he took. Reporting something like that, especially when it was his own son involved, took something special."

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/nelsonnews/Dad-shops-son-to-police.4158033.jp

Back