Some Channels Just Have Black Screen After Scan (Nokia DBOX2)

badboy4life

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I finally got cable installed recently, and plugged in my Nokia DBox2 with Sportster 1.07.

I ran a fast scan and a non-fast scan on 6952 for a TW area, both times it will pick up most of the channels, however the 'better' channels... i.e. sky sports and MTV etc appear as just a black screen with no sound. Other channels such as the UKTV channels work fine.

I have also tried copying various services.xml files to the box, yet the same thing happens. I was advised by a friend to try just powering it off for a few hours and then try again, yet I still haven't had any luck.

I tried on another Box and this works fine with all channels, however I would really like to get the other box working. I was thinking of copying all the files over from the one box to the other via ftp but unsure as to whether this will be of any benefit.

Could someone please advise me what I need to do? Many Thanks.

PS has anyone managed to connect a dbox to a ps3(YDL) to use as a pvr?

Suspect its a signal level issue

Hi,

Although I'm only a newbie, I suspect you have a marginal signal. Elsewhere on this forum they refer to a SNR of 90-95 dB being necessary. Since you can't do anything about the N(oise), the only thing to adjust is the S(ignal) level.

Firstly I would suggest checking the Signal levels on different channels. If the levels are too low, an amplifier (eg from Argos) might help. If the levels are too high, an attenuator would be needed.

I think the recommendation is to keep your original cable box connected as well as your all-singing-and-dancing box. To do that you probably used a splitter to get two signals. Trouble is a normal splitter will drop the signal by 3-4 dB. ie each box will get less than HALF the power.....hence and amplifier might help.

Secondly, presumeably some boxes are more sensitive than others.

Thirdly I suppose it might be possible for different channels to have different SNRs if the playout system operators aren't paying attention.

On balance, I would check to see if an amplifier is needed.

Hope that is some help
Gary

Hi,

Thanks for the comments, I did think that it was something to do with the signal strength, but some channels were showing lower signal but displaying ok.

I compared the settings to the other box as it worked ok, I have changed the CAMD settings and now it seems to work ok, so hopefully that will have fixed it.

I am concerned about the signal levels though, as I have connected a splitter with both boxes, will wait and see what happens.

Hi,

I finally got cable installed recently, and plugged in my Nokia DBox2 with Sportster 1.07.

I ran a fast scan and a non-fast scan on 6952 for a TW area, both times it will pick up most of the channels, however the 'better' channels... i.e. sky sports and MTV etc appear as just a black screen with no sound. Other channels such as the UKTV channels work fine.

I have also tried copying various services.xml files to the box, yet the same thing happens. I was advised by a friend to try just powering it off for a few hours and then try again, yet I still haven't had any luck.

I tried on another Box and this works fine with all channels, however I would really like to get the other box working. I was thinking of copying all the files over from the one box to the other via ftp but unsure as to whether this will be of any benefit.

Could someone please advise me what I need to do? Many Thanks.

PS has anyone managed to connect a dbox to a ps3(YDL) to use as a pvr?
ive a dbox2 and a Analogue black box running on the same line with splitter and when i scan with analogue box pluged in it can miss channels ie always channel 5 dont no why but if anyone at your bit is using a old box thuis might be why. have you tryed scanning it elsewhere ie pals house > ? .

ive a dbox2 and a Analogue black box running on the same line with splitter and when i scan with analogue box pluged in it can miss channels ie always channel 5 dont no why but if anyone at your bit is using a old box thuis might be why. have you tryed scanning it elsewhere ie pals house > ? .

I've got it working now. There were no other boxes plugged in at them time, scanned it with a direct connection to the cable feed. If you read my post above you'll see how I fixed it.

It's working fine with a splitter with the Virgin box, was just worried about signal dropping but seems to have been ok so far.

Glad its working

Glad you got it working. I think some users get an OK signal with a splitter in place and some don't could be down to the specific second box fitted but also depends on the signal set by the original N*L installer. If they set the level " a bit hot" you might be better off than if the installer set it up "OK but at the low end of acceptable). I don't know but expect they only have/bother with 3dB steps.

LOL

Back