Soldering Equipment?

fatspanner

Inactive User
Reaction score
On my way to maplins on the way home, to pick up some soldering kit to start praticing over the weekend, before i pluck up the courage to mod the Wii.

Could anyone suggest which soldering iron i should get from maplins. I have read on a modding site that i should probably go for a 15w iron?

Is this the one i should be looking at

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?detail=full&ModuleNo=4052&doy=27m2#more_info

Thanks
fats

I use th 12w but that should be fine, you also want some flux or a flux pen
my experiance is from PS1,PS2 and xbox chipping I have not done the Wii yet
if you have to solder near any IC chip legs it a good idea to get some solder brad incase you have to remove solder from two legs soldered together.

I use a solder station about 48 watt,
I have psx,psone,ps2,pstwo,xbox,xbox360,Gamecube,Wii modding experiance.

Soldering irons providing its hot enough to melt the solder to the chip legs youll be alright.

Make sure you practice on a old scrap pc card 1st

Smaller iron dont retain as much heat on larger components, but too much heat can be a bad thing.

Flux the motherboard points 1st and tin the wire and take your time you should be fine.

remember to insulate the solder and chip after wards, and depending on chip fitted, wiinja gets placed between game cube controller ports, so make shure its insulated.

Have just done my first one - use a low profile dil socket with kynar wire - practice your soldering with this on an old pc board or verostrip first when you buy your iron buy one that takes the smallest replacement tip, most antex are supplied with a tip that is too big so first job was to change tip size, then after lots of practice the socket was installed and chip pressed into socket - easier to upgrade later

Back