Solar System Model

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i could buy one of them solar system models that move. But it must have the moon orbiting the earth? :)

I'm interested in the moons orbit, as to why the tide on the Mediterranean sea doesn't go in and out as much as my one, the Bristol Channel.

I suspect the lack of tides in the Med is because it is pretty much landlocked. The Straits of Gibraltar are only 9 miles wide!

I bought the one that came monthly with the magazine subscription. Cost a fortune for the 52 weekly issues.

It has all the planets plus the moon that orbits the earth.

Looks good when it's finished. It's all solid brass. The planets are painted brass.

You can still get the magazine/parts or find them on ebay ready built.

They also do one that is just the sun, earth and moon. A little cheaper though.

Here's a video of one in action, not mine.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suspect the lack of tides in the Med is because it is pretty much landlocked. The Straits of Gibraltar are only 9 miles wide!
The water lost through evaporation exceeds what flows into the Med from rivers and rainfall, so it is constantly replenished from the Atlantic by a current flowing through the Straits of Gibraltar. That limits the tidal movement.

I want one now....hypnotic watching it :)
Imagine them to be a few quid though looking at the one above in the clip.

EDIT -£495 + £30 delivery on the bay for the one above new -or around £310 used.

Last edited:
Back