Solar plasma aurora storm to hit Earth tomorrow! (4th Aug)

just been checking on the site i put up last nite, as it gives info on the strengh of the aurora and pictures to see if you can see it. So far it's measuring 8 out of 10 so it's big. But from what i can tell, even tho it's intense, it's not reaching mainland uk. The far far borders of scotland might just get. It's also tonight so might move down more, worth keeping an eye on

picture was taken at 4.55am this morning
201008040455n.jpg

site
NOAA POES Auroral Activity

Hmm, Dublin has a magnetic latitude of 50, which needs a kp of 8 to be able see it, plus clear moonless skies. Not looking good :(

Edit: it's a waning crescent moon, so that's not too bad, and the aural activity has been 8, so maybe just maybe!

Last edited:
According to Granada reports(local news), which was just on. If you look north from 10.30 tonight and sky's are clear you should see a green glow.

Professor Mike Kosch from Lancaster University said it was "possible but unlikely" that the Northern Lights would be visible from England on Thursday night.

He explained that the chances to view the results of the magnetic storms would be best in northern Scotland and northern parts of Europe. "They could be going on above our heads during the day, but we can't see them," he said.

more info is on the website link below

BBC News - Why have the Northern Lights moved south?

Didn't get to see them, am quite disappointed. Was too cloudy on tuesday night, last night it wasn't that cloudy and i kept checking but there were quite a few lights on (you know those halogen outside security lights, some people leave them on all night they are really annoying!) so no joy and cloudy again tonight. Time to give up i think :(

It was disappointing not getting to see this spectacular event, but the perseid meteor shower has started and maybe we'll be lucky enough to see that. The best chance will be on the evening of the 12th and early morning of the 13th of this month.
Here is a link to a good site with all the info.
kielder observatory seems like a good few days out to veiw the meteors if you live near by.

Last edited:
peeps living in central uk never get to see anything special, but i would like to see an asteroid in my lifetime :) ;)

Back