Software Error on ZGemma H2S

cobra46black

Reaction score
I have been using Zgemma H2s for 3 years. Initially with a gift but now with freesat and internet streaming. I was using the techkings unofficial openvix skin (SLYK)I had no problems until couple of weeks ago when the box kept crashing (software error )when I downloaded to the epg. I tried reloading the skin but it made no difference so decided to go to Whooshbuild. I tried downloading the software but could not find one that worked on the memory sticks I tried (4).
So I decided to do a factory reset and then install a new skin from scratch. I did the reset and the set up but still had the Unofficial openvix image on screen on boot. I managed to install my previous settings, download the EPG and get a picture. However when I tried to update the EPG, it crashed - (software error). It is possible to root and get a picture but as the crash keeps recurring it seemed fruitless to install a new skin until this problem is sorted.
The zgemma is now in a drawer awaiting a solution. I have no problem with my streaming service which I am running on a Samsung Smart TV with Smart IPTV

First, flash the Zgemma with a bootloader then OpenATV 6.2. Use a small stick say 500mb-1gb or a micro SD in a caddie. Make sure you formatting it with something like SD Formatter and not windows.
Zgemmas can be a right tw*t to flash as there fussy as hell with aticks5

As your running H2s my advise is to stay away from OpenVIX as they do not support that model of zgemma.
Them boxes are frailly good boxes.

I would take that zgemma back out of the drawer and reflash it.
(DO NOT DO A FACTORY RESET)!!
You must do a clean reflash with OpenATV 6.2.
It will bring box back to new then add what you want in after, the less you install on that model the better it will run.
There good wee boxes and should not give many issues running official image.
Make sure your USB drive is FAT32 format when flashing.
Use bootic to format USB drive:
Easily Modify Boot Sectors with Bootice! - AgniPulse
Also when you transfer the zgemma folder over to USB prior to flash, make sure you unzipped the zgemma file then open folder up and make sure file says “FORCE”
If it says ”noforce” remove the “no” from it.

With wooshbuild you do not flash that build. Wooshbuild is now installed on the terminal running OpenATV.
Personally i hate wooshbuild as it gave me soooo many issues.
As said.... clean flash, add whats needed then all should be good.

Last edited:
Guys i have spend 2 hours this evening with abu a mate who is one of the main guys off the OE-A feeds which gives you all the plugins available via your enigma 2 boxes, I have a box given to me by a friend who found that after switching the box on one morning it was stuck on 49 and would not boot up so after trying myself various things changing files to force/Different usb sticks ect nothing worked with that method. I managed to connect the box via ftp and putty so tried using various telnet commands to get the box working but failed so i contacted abu. He spend a fair amount of time this evening and after using both tenet (putty ect) and a ftp program (flashfxp) we managed to find the issue of the box looping and stuck on boot was an old ipab file and the memory was nearly all used up, I just would like to say thanks for his help and pass on any info which may help anyone avoiding this,

1) Make sure that you have a hard drive or usb for extra memory to avoid using up the internal memory which will cause the box to loop.
2) Keep the box to a minimum amount if you do not intent using a hard drive or usb as epg data will use a fair amount
3) You can perform a clean up of any unused data by running cashe flush on a regular basis and i believe all the lads who do backup images (wooshman/grog/ willo) ect have this plugin available
4) I have been told that there will be some new plugins available soon ( iptv) so i hope this helps anyone to avoid loosing their enjoyment

Anyone using using ipab image should beware now that its not supported and should be removed, im always a big believer in keeping enigma2 machines running best and reflasing now and again does now harm.
If ipab were not so fooking greedy in there bouquets setup they would still be going. (maybe)
As far as reflashing goes.... zgemmas are well known for flashing problems.
Formatting USB drive on windows OS does not always work. Also mini tool partition is hit and miss.
Im yet not been able to reflash zgemmas with kingston/sandisk USB drives under 2GB storage.
This is using bootice.
I had USB 2GB kingston drive formatted on windows OS and would not flash.
If you format it with bootice it will read on boot providing file is “force”.

Last edited:
Anyone using using ipab image should beware now that its not supported and should be removed, im always a big believer in keeping enigma2 machines running best and reflasing now and again does now harm.
If ipab were not so fooking greedy in there bouquets setup they would still be going. (maybe)
As far as reflashing goes.... zgemmas are well known for flashing problems.
Formatting USB drive on windows OS does not always work. Also mini tool partition is hit and miss.
Im yet not been able to reflash zgemmas with kingston/sandisk USB drives under 2GB storage.
This is using bootic.
I had USB 2GB kingston drive formatted on windows OS and would not flash.
If you format it with bootic it will read on boot providing file is “force”.
HDD GURU is a good one for formatting to mate

Another common problem when trying to flash with a USB stick is some people leaving another USB device plugged in.

So make sure you only have the stick with the flash image on it plugged in.

You may have filled the internal flash memory. Too many skins or corrupt/overgrown EPG
Issue the following command using Putty/Terminal or similar to check space
df -Th

The best way to find out what the error is, is to start Enigma2 in console mode. Issue following command one by one
init 4
enigma2

Provided you have enough space on device and a storage device mounted, you can flash it by command line.
Stop Enigma2 with this command
init 4

Following script by grog68
wget --no-check-certificate -O installatv.sh https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqbo698rxconave/installatv.sh?dl=1 && bash installatv.sh

Internal memory is showing full. How do I clear it. I have tired using remote but noting changed. Do I need a command line?

It depends what has filled it up. Keep receiver stopped with "init 4" command while you attempt your fix, then try the following to remove epg, then check the free space again

rm -f /etc/enigma2/epg.dat

If it isn't the epg that has overgrown, issue the following command which will list the contents of directory where skins are located. You can then remove some skins, hopefully receiver will become responsive

ls -l /usr/share/enigma2

Posting back results will allow people to assist you.

Last edited:
Many moons ago a friend had a similar problem where he couldn't delete and his memory was full. I found that by deleting the smallest files first that I was able to then delete the memory hungry resources that were tying up his dreambox.
It's easy to forget that you actually need free space larger than the item you are trying to remove. I would imagine the same applies with the zgemma.

It depends what has filled it up. Keep receiver stopped with "init 4" command while you attempt your fix, then try the following to remove epg, then check the free space again

rm -f /etc/enigma2/epg.dat

If it isn't the epg that has overgrown, issue the following command which will list the contents of directory where skins are located. You can then remove some skins, hopefully receiver will become responsive

ls -l /usr/share/enigma2

Posting back results will allow people to assist you.
I have gone back to the beginning and run df -Th. It does not appear to be the egg which is taking up the space. (See screen shot attached) How do I delete these items?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 10.37.48.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 10.37.48.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 11
The two attachments overlap

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.03.28.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.03.28.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.04.02.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.04.02.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 5
Could it be too many plugins?

try:
opkg list-installed | grep enigma2 > /tmp/opkg.txt

This will list all installed plugins beginning with enigma2 and re-direct the output to opkg.txt in your tmp folder.
If you don't even have space for this file then just try (but list maybe a lot - too many to fit on one page):
opkg list-installed | grep enigma2

I don't know if it is too many but it seems like a lot!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.17.29.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.17.29.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.17.55.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.17.55.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.18.24.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 11.18.24.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 2
Paste these commands one by one.

rm -rf /usr/share/enigma2/picon
rm -rf /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1-hd

Please paste instead of typing to avoid errors!

What does df -Th show now? Hopefuly you have a bit of space.

If you hav emore than 2 MB, connect a USB device, reboot (not just restart), then issue that grog script to flash latest ATV.

Back