Softmodding...is this right?

DOS

Inactive User
Reaction score
My xbox from one of those referral sites turned up today, so I thought I'd mod it.

I want it to be softmod based, and upgrade the hard drive. I have done some research, and i think below is what i need to do.

1) Softmod with splinter cell exploit
2) When prompted, backup eprom to hdd
3) Finish installation
4) FTP into xbox and copy c:\ and e:\
5) Create XBOXHDM disc with eprom backup and c: and e: backup
6) Attach new xbox harddrive (the one to upgrade to) to pc
7) Run XBOXHDM disc
8) Put new hdd into xbox

Is that everything? Also, does XBOXHDM put on a new dashboard like xbmc?

Thanks for your help,

DOS

Any new hdd will need to be locked using the eeprom.bin you saved earlier.

If you going to open your xbox up, you might aswell use the ndure tut I have posted. Everything is explained in there.

Reactions: DOS
Ok, so if i use the method you posted, do i need to lock the hard drive before i put it back into the xbox, or will it do it itself?

Also, would doing it that way enable me to use a new (80gig/160gig) harddrive?

Thanks,

DOS

you will need to lock the drive....and you can pretty much use any size drive i believe. I'm using 160gig.

Xboxhdm (ndure method) will put unleash X as your Dashboard. BUt you can easily change this at a later stage once you have modded your box.

What the softmod does is let you into the XBOX, so to speak. Once you have access to the XBOX you can do pretty much anything, upgrade HD, add software, films, make game backups etc.

What i would suggest is to read the tut, read it again, ask questions, then attempt it....then you wont go far wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: DOS
Ok, i think i'v got this now:

1) Do Splinter Cell exploit, to create eeprom.bin for use with Ndure softmod
2) FTP into XBOX, copy c: and e: to make the XBOXHDM disc
3) Attach new harddrive to PC and set up by booting XBOXHDM disc
4) Lock new drive using XBOXHDM
5) Replace old xbox hdd with new hdd

Also, until the new drive arrives(either http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120612 or http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120286), will i be able to use the xbox if i use the Splinter Cell exploit? I have read that the dvd drive cannot be used while this exploit is used.

if your going to softmod it you need a way to activate the exploit.....either via a mem card and replay kit.....OR the Harddrive swap method. I did the HD swap method and worked fine, in fact ive done all my friends.......

basic steps are for HD sawp method:

1. find the version of your XBOX first (as detailed in Ballys sticky)
2. create a boot disc with xboxhdm and Ndure (as detailed in Ballys sticky)
3. boot of this disc in your PC with the Xbox HD connected to primary IDE and other HD's disconnected on your PC.
4. Go through NDURE method on screen to hack into your machine. (as detailed in Ballys sticky)
5. Once hacked shut everything down put your HD back into the xbox and fire up.
6. if the unleash dash loads on your XBOX then your XBOX is done.
7. now take a backup of your C, E.
8. get a copy of evox and ftp it to your xbox under E /apps.
9. fire up evox and select system back up this will create your backup eeprom, which you will need later, FTP this file to your PC for safe keeping.

I would suggest doing this first then tackling to add a larger HD.

some notes:
make sure you set the clock on your xbox first before you start the mod (incase its been powered of for a while).

When doing step 3 you need to make sure your xbox is powered on and the IDE connection from XBOX attached to the HD. Wait for a few mins then do the IDE swap (not the HD power) i.e. connect the PC IDE cable to the XBOX HD when the xboxhdm disc is at its primary boot menu.

Last edited:
Ok, so if i did it that way, i would start xbox, get it so the hdd is unlocked, then disconnect the hdd from xbox, and connect to the pc.

Do i keep the power to the xbox on while the hard drive is connected to the pc? Once the pc has finished with it, i connect it back to the xbox? Do i then power down, or do something else?

I think i may have read into it too much and getting confused with something :)

Thanks
DOS

yep keep the xbox power on when you do the swap the xbox HD will be powered by your xbox but the IDE will be swapped to your PC one once the Disc has booted to the primary menu. The XBOX will need to remain on throughout the softmod

Once you have finished....you shut down your xbox first then the PC then just put the HD back in your XBOX and hopefully it should be hacked.

All the files you will need, you can obtain from xbins.

Last edited:
Wasnt sure if the hard drive needed locking by the pc or the xbox. Just need to order some torx screwdrivers and a new hard drive and I can get on with it.

Thanks for your help!

DOS

no probs. BUT i would softmod the box as soon as you get the torx screws. It makes things easier. Adding a new HD is another story altogether (altho its somewhat easier than primary process to hack it!)

1.What i would do is softmod your current xbox with the stock HD which is in the box

2. once that is working then attempt to add the bigger drive.

let me know how you go.......

Last edited:
Found some torx screwdrivers, made cd, got everything ready, im going to try it now...

Yay! Its all done and works!

Was quite easy, the most difficult part was putting it back together properly.

Thanks very much for all your help! Gonna play around with it see what it can do and maybe connect it to the network, or get a crossover cable tomorrow.

Thanks again!

DOS

Last edited:
Easy when you know how, bet you can d it with your eyes colsed now lol. Glad your sorted. I suggest you install the latest XBMC from my sticky thread as your dashboard.

Back