softmod + 5yr old = error13

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
my 5 yr old boy has a softmodded xbox, but i think hes somehow managed to delete the dashboard, everything was backed up first as explained in the softmod tut but now when its turned on its the dreaded needs service screen and error 13

can anyone help please as i dont want to have to take it apart and chip it as its still under warranty from xmas

cheers

dd

Just re-install dashboard, anyone will do... Im assuming games are still working right? If so just burn a dashboard on to a disc then boot it that so you can ftp to your xbox and put on the files you need.

I would recommend you install XBMC as your dash, you can get the latest version from the thread I posted a few days ago.

tried a game and it went to error 20, tried again and the game started

will i be able to remod it using splinter cell as i did originally?

i haven't actually soft modded yet but if i were you, i'd mod it again (using splinter cell etc.) Bally says to too

If games load then you should be able to fix it easily, you just need to run dashboard from a disc to get FTP access.

Any dash will do, if you got a slayers disc just whack that in and if it loads then your good to go... Can you remember where your dashboard was installed... E:\Dashboard?

Use the splinter cell method like you did before. Running the cracked savegame will give you ftp access so you can install XBMC (copy the contents of XMBC zip into e/dashboard on your xbox) if you want to. Or you can just install evolution or whatever comes on the save game file.

Basically just do as you did when you 1st installed the dashboard.

Would recommend XBMC as a Dash tho...

ok run splinter cell and installed evox as before

now nothing, just error 16

not even originals will work any more, is it fookered?

cant you restore it to stock build and start over again? I had error 13 to begin after modding it, then after f****** about with it i got 16 and nothing would work.....finally i restored the C back using slayers stock build and i can finally boot back to MS dash, thank god.

may be you could do the same?

Last edited:
i have an old slayers disk somewhere, but i thought that as it wont even boot originals then a copy would have no chance, ill try and ftp into it later tonight or tomorrow as i have it here now, otherwise its back to game lol

Error 16 is dashboard error, all you need to do is if copied games work just burn a xbmc, evox or another dash to disc then run it to access ftp access then install dash to the hdd and you should be sorted.

i have an old slayers disk somewhere, but i thought that as it wont even boot originals then a copy would have no chance, ill try and ftp into it later tonight or tomorrow as i have it here now, otherwise its back to game lol

When my xbox stoped responding......what i did was get the stock xbox files from slayer disc put them in xboxhdm.....burnt the iso......booted of my pc, did the HD swap thing with my xbox....then selected option 2 on xboxhdm menu, to rebuild my C drive and it repartioned it and it copied over the stock files. shut down xbox, put the HD back in the XBOX and it came up with the dash!.

But as Bally said if you can boot ie can read games all you need to do is create a boot disc with either slayer or a dashboard like evox, pop the disc in the xbox, boot of it and you should be able to ftp to it.

i couldnt do that, the box wouldnt do shit and had to do the stock xbox restore.

Last edited:
ill try an ISO of XBMC but if that dont work ill just take it back to game as im a lazy twart and cant be arsed with the taking apart and connecting to Pc etc, its only 3 months old and still got reciept, i told them there was a power cut when my boy was playing it and now its saying it needs servicing on the phone and they said yeh its screwed lol

ok got a new one lol

now ive softmodded it using the splintercell method again, can i set a dash so my boy cant access anything by powering on with the eject button and cocking it all up again? fook knows how he managed to kill the last one but i dont think game will buy the same story twice lol

Best thing to do before you do anything else is make a backup copy of your C drive, E drive and Eeprom file/HD key etc

i want to do it without breaking any warranty seals if possible, i could have fixed the last one but had no access at all to it from FTP, original games or anything

I always backup everything via FTP after softmodding. If I break anything in the future then I know that I can always recover from the problem.

I realise that because your xbox was still under warranty last time that you weren't able to do this.

Back