Socket Set buying advice needed

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a decent quality 1/2" socket set. Hex, spanners and torxs are not are not a necessity but I wouldn't say know.
I knew there was a few on the market but I didn't realise how many till I started looking.
I looked at the Bacho S240 and the S400 but I'm not sure of the quality.

Carnt speak for the whole socket set but the ratchet is a familiar sight to me, well the design is just not the colour.

Didnt last well that ratchet, id say im an advanced diy mechanic who takes on most jobs on my own a families cars so tools get used and abused.

More expensive i know halfords advanced range decent quality with a lifetime warranty ive used on 3 occasions walk in with receipt and broke tool and its exchanged no questions asked.

Halfords do a diy set for £70 I was wondering if there actually any good

Snap on my arse still waiting 3 years for a visit as got a few broken tools,Teng dont offer lifetime warranty as broke a ratchet 1/2 power bar and given a repaired one lol.
This time of year motor factors have booklets of specials on offer.

Just got some VonHaus tool cabinets and was very pleased with the quality for the price.
Good stuff m8, top quality at a fraction of the price. Some good reviews too. I have a set of these sockets and they work for me.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna diss some of those in the top ten as I bet some arent that bad quality wise but surely of those at £20 have got to be abit suss ?. Those with the drivers bit are gonna be the same as those pound shop jobs, 1 screw per bit.
I've got decent spanners and bit sets. I buy decent ones separate so I'm more bothered about the socket set quality with some extensions and longer sockets

Last edited:
Dont get me going on sockets as most of my work is 3/8 drive but have the 1/2 and a few 3/4 ones cheap in market.

shallow drive are smaller than standard 3/8 sockets for close up into small gaps.
standard depending on make you buy can vary in length.
midsize are deeper than the standard length and in use daily
deep sockets are handy and also well used.
extra deep socket when some bastard has tightened the handbrake nut up all the way and not adjusting the brakes correctly,i have 10,12,13 and 14 laser sockets.

Teng tools do nice roll boxes and kit inserts which look very well.

Ive a boat load of Snapon and Facom tools from 2 years as an apprentice mechanic when i left school anyway that didnt work out pay was poor and i moved on but 30 years plus on i still have them, most still going strong but they are over the top expensive for DIY .

The reason ive gone Halfords advance is not because there the best but there good strong reliable tools at and affordable price and if they break i go down the road and they get swapped no questions asked.

For me you buy once for life and that aint a bad deal. In times of need ive used halford advanced sockets on Pneumatic/Battery impact wrenches and they have stood upto it. A facom impact socket broke removing my sons gearbox so no chance of that been swapped.

Ive a boat load of Snapon and Facom tools from 2 years as an apprentice mechanic when i left school anyway that didnt work out pay was poor and i moved on but 30 years plus on i still have them, most still going strong but they are over the top expensive for DIY .

The reason ive gone Halfords advance is not because there the best but there good strong reliable tools at and affordable price and if they break i go down the road and they get swapped no questions asked.

For me you buy once for life and that aint a bad deal. In times of need ive used halford advanced sockets on Pneumatic/Battery impact wrenches and they have stood upto it. A facom impact socket broke removing my sons gearbox so no chance of that been swapped.
I hope your son recovered well from removing his gearbox Ferret.I hope you remembered to put his Knob back on.🤔🤣

would go with halfords ,great value for money and halfords will replace them with no hassle

Back