SNP shock victory in Glasgow East

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
SNP candidate John Mason handed Labour a humiliating loss in the Glasgow East by-election after taking one of their safest seats with a 22% swing in the vote.

It took a full recount at Labour's request to confirm the result as Mason defeated Labour candidate Margaret Curran by just 365 votes.

The SNP candidate polled 11277 to Labour's 10912.

Conservative candidate Davena Rankin came third with 1639, with Lib Dem hopeful Ian Robertson fourth with 915.

Turnout in the vote yesterday was around 42%.

Mr Mason had arrived to a hero's welcome from party activists for the count at Tollcross Leisure Centre in the early hours of this morning, as word that the SNP had pulled off an incredible victory in the constituency began to filter round.

Labour had called for a recount of the votes but at around 2.30am the result was declared and the full scope of the swing towards the SNP became clear.

The seat had been Labour's third safest in Scotland, and one of their top safe seats across the UK, and will be seen as another blow to Gordon Brown's premiership.

Labour had faced a tough task from the start of the campaign, after their first choice candidate pulled out, leaving Glasgow MSP Curran to step in.

Previous incumbent David Marshall, who quit the seat on health grounds last month, had held the seat with a 13,507 majority.

It's certainly the end of Labour as a government. Just a pity that feckin' twit Cameron & the Tories will benefit more than the SNP and win the next general election because of it.

Time for Brown to step down and try and save the Labour party.

David Cameron: A guy who wants to lead Great Britain chains his bike to a bollard next to a lampost and then wonders why it got stolen.....lol Must have went to the same school as George W Bush.

What a feckin' tit that man is!

Last edited:

I don't think Billy Graham could save them Cliff...:Cool2:

I am in no way a Tory and have been in the trade union for 27 years but this Labour government has to go and its looking like they will. I don't think the Tories will do much better but they will more than likely get a chance to try.

I don't think Billy Graham could save them Cliff...:Cool2:

I am in no way a Tory and have been in the trade union for 27 years but this Labour government has to go and its looking like they will. I don't think the Tories will do much better but they will more than likely get a chance to try.

Think your right Jim, I was brought up with a Tory goverment so can only remember the bad times mate, and they were feckin' bad as I'm quite sure you'll remember......lol

I bet there are loads of Labour MPs who now have squeaky bums...lol. The 3rd safest seat in Scotland is overturned....they gotta be thinking self preservation by now as I am sure they are not stupid enough to believe Brown can save them.

Yeah I remember the Tories alright...interest rates above 16%, but times have changed and a lot of people who voted the Tories out will now be voting them back in. I don't get that chance though so I can only rely on you lot getting Labour out.

i grew up with labour governments as far as i can remember

but the tories fecked up Scotland AFAIK its their fault i cant get a job!!!!!!! lol
one of the guys i work with is a part time mp or summit and he says why dont you vote and i said cause they are a waste of space that take your money i bet they dont feel the credit cruch

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

you would have thought he would have at least shown his face in the east end a couple of times

but as usual get to the top then sod the little people.

one of the guys i work with is a part time mp or summit and he says why dont you vote and i said cause they are a waste of space that take your money i bet they dont feel the credit cruch

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I agree with you....I bet they don't feel it, mp's get good wages BUT your vote is important....who is elected is decided by the people and they are only in that position because the people put them there...your vote can get them out and someone else in to waste our money, but at least you could say you voted for that effing waster....:Laugh:

I don't think I could sleep at night knowing I voted in one of those wasters into their jobs!

It's about time labour got a good kick in the arse :Clap:

why dont we start the DW party ;)!!

we need a working man who can go into parliment and say your a fanny your a fanny this is how it works in real life **** what its like on paper

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back