Snake eggs

janobi

Janet to us
VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of you may know I have a couple of snakes as pets, well they have mated again this year, and Mogwi is currently laying eggs, she has already laid 30 eggs, whereas last time she laid only 22.

Am looking for some advice on hatching the eggs, as I feel I got ripped off last time, by the shop I took them too. I actually only got paid for 8 eggs out of 22, which is very low IMO.

Also if anyone would be interested in having a snake in about 60 days then, I would be more than happy to facilitate. They will be snowcones and amelystic varieties. Of the last batch I had, I had some of the rarest markings you can get apparently, meant nothing to me tbh. I can post photos if people would like to see too.

A friend of mine that joined here recently works in a reptile shop and runs a reptile forum, her name is linny40, i'm sure she can help you out with anything you need to know :)

A friend of mine that joined here recently works in a reptile shop and runs a reptile forum, her name is linny40, i'm sure she can help you out with anything you need to know :)

That would be very helpful mate, can you send me the forum link please?

I am mainly concerned with keeping the temperature right, and stable, and not sure how to achieve this. In the shop they put the eggs in the fridge to hatch, which I thought was weird. I have read that they hatch between 70 - 90 degrees, and surely a fridge is colder than that? Or have they set the temperature on the fridge?

hi thanks Eva for the links to my sites.
Janobi hi,
just a quick reply on this as it would be far better on the reptile forum and there is so much info on there.- cant repeat it all on here.
But the fridge yes its probably one they made changes to like a lot of people do. Temps need to be around 84 degrees, and not all eggs hatch out, my 1st batch was 8 eggs and only 3 hatched.
Cheapest inc to make would be around £60 (GBP) but it also needs to be set up before eggs arrive. If eggs are not incubated within hrs they would die anyway.
IF keeping and mating snakes its always advisable to have an incubator ready.
If you join and look around the forum search incubators and you will see photos of home made ones that people have made.
Basic ingredients for an inc is a poly box with lid heat mat and thermostat, box with lid and moss to place eggs in and something on the bottom to keep tub from bottom of box.
hopefully see you on the reptile forum

hi thanks Eva for the links to my sites.
Janobi hi,
just a quick reply on this as it would be far better on the reptile forum and there is so much info on there.- cant repeat it all on here.
But the fridge yes its probably one they made changes to like a lot of people do. Temps need to be around 84 degrees, and not all eggs hatch out, my 1st batch was 8 eggs and only 3 hatched.
Cheapest inc to make would be around £60 (GBP) but it also needs to be set up before eggs arrive. If eggs are not incubated within hrs they would die anyway.
IF keeping and mating snakes its always advisable to have an incubator ready.
If you join and look around the forum search incubators and you will see photos of home made ones that people have made.
Basic ingredients for an inc is a poly box with lid heat mat and thermostat, box with lid and moss to place eggs in and something on the bottom to keep tub from bottom of box.
hopefully see you on the reptile forum

I have a bag of vermiculite, will that do for moss? I will need to get a heat mat tomorrow then to keep the eggs warm, my house is about 74 degrees, so needs to be a bit warmer. Of the 22 eggs I had last time, only 2 didnt hatch, so not a bad outcome. I currently counted 30 eggs, but there may be more to come. I will leave them in the tank for now, as she is guarding them, and is a bit nasty and bites. lol.

I will join the other forum, and take a look around. Thanks again.

I have registered on both forums, and posted on both asking for help, so hopefully someone will reply.

photo.jpg

Last edited:
honestly mate, i couldnt give you any advice on hatching them, however what i will say is this, probably one of the best, if not the best forum going for advice on any snake / lizard / spider etc etc is the reptile forums

Reptile Forums UK - Care, Pictures, Classifieds & More

i have snakes myself, i never thought i would own a snake until went to shop one day to meet my mate, he was buying a bearded dragon, got there early, woman started getting all the snakes out and me, the missus and child fell in love with them, that was only last year, we now have 4. 2 corn snakes (anerthryistic motlbe B male, and a amel female) and a breeding pair of western hognoses (vicious little bluffers).

there addictive, i may be picking up a snow female today, just need to work out where to put her.
Picturexmaslongleat2009153.jpg

There's an animal and pets section in the Media Centre, if anyone wants to upload some snake videos, i'm sure lots of people would love to see them :)

we`ll, weve gone and bought her, pick her up from brum today, nice snake to add to the collection, the hognoses are going very soon, missus likes them, but there not a `pet` snake if you know what i mean. if anyones interested, full setup lol.

Whats a hognose? Sorry. lol

And is there any way I can make the female more tame? I never had her from a small snake, was given her and she had been neglected. Now if I go near her, she attacks me. lol. Winston my male snake is 6ft, and loves being held, and has only biten me once, and that was my own fault. lol

I would really really like to get a bigger snake, like a python, or boa, but I dont have the room at present, or the viv to put them in. I will check out the links though guys thanks a lot.

Anyone who is after a snake, then hit me up. I will have quite a few to shift in 60 days hopefully.

W-LAD-Whognosesnake.jpg

westernhognosesnout.jpg

there hognoses, not classed as venomous however there saliva does have a beesting quality, but you`d have to let them chew on you to break skin, but they puff up like a cobra, and will hiss that sounds like a rattle snake, then they will repeatedly strike at you (with there mouths closed) , if that fails they will roll around like they are diying, then go on there backs like this.

Heterodon_nasicus_Western_hognose_snake_ventral_03_02.jpg

as for taming them, what exactly is your breed of snake, im relatively new to snakes but i understand a few rules, most (not all) snakes will tame with repeated handling, however always feed them outside of the vivarium and make sure you wash your hands before handling them, alot of snakes become `viv defensive` if you feed them in the viv.

other than that though not much more i can tell you.

and it might be worth getting you have checked on on the forums, you may not make big bucks, but some of the rarer morphs etc etc can be a pretty penny, i`m actually presuming its corn snakes you have? but dependant on breed, some snakes can be worth thousands for rare colours / patterns.

check out the reptile forums classified sections.

Last edited:
Yeah they are corns, and as said earlier I had some very rare markings, when I was told by one guy at shop the other shop guy told him to shut up, and not say anymore. Made no difference to me, as I didnt really understand what they was talking about. I think it was because they had some sort of zig zag pattern or something. I aint entirely sure, I was more pissed off at only being paid £15 each for 8 snakes, and having to give the guy 6 snakes for hatching them. I think I got royally screwed. lol

But thats life I guess, you live and you learn.

I have a bag of vermiculite, will that do for moss? I will need to get a heat mat tomorrow then to keep the eggs warm, my house is about 74 degrees, so needs to be a bit warmer. Of the 22 eggs I had last time, only 2 didnt hatch, so not a bad outcome. I currently counted 30 eggs, but there may be more to come. I will leave them in the tank for now, as she is guarding them, and is a bit nasty and bites. lol.

I will join the other forum, and take a look around. Thanks again.

I have registered on both forums, and posted on both asking for help, so hopefully someone will reply.

photo.jpg

wow........like the way the eggs are being protected,will their be any trouble from the snake if/when you try to remove them?

wow........like the way the eggs are being protected,will their be any trouble from the snake if/when you try to remove them?

No mate, she was too tired to attack or anything else, it takes a lot out of them for them to give birth. Eggs are now removed and in an incubator at 82 degrees, so in 60 days hopefully I should have 33 baby snakes.

seriously mate, do it yourself, and get some photos of mum and dad and some of the htchlings, and post them on the forum, people will identify them for you for free and then you can sell them , me and my mate have had loads of snakes of the reptile forums, just look at how many posts / threads on the snake classifieds alone will tell you how much buisiness is on there.

anyways, just got back from birmingham with the new corn snake, absolutley superb she is, bit underweight, but shes just laid 20 eggs , so a couple of good feeds will sort her out, well looking forward to breeding my first lot, gonna get another snow corn, or blizzard corn to go with her.

are you going to eh IHS (international herpatalogical society) breeders meet / snake show at doncaster in september? well worth it, even if you just go to buy feeds (small mice where 30p each lol) gonna go and stock up, well worth the trip and dead cheap, got a 3`x1`x1.5` viv new for £40 and gonna stock up on feeds, hopefully see a nice corn there, but to be honest i reckon i`ll snap another bargain from the reptile forum well before then.

seriously mate, do it yourself, and get some photos of mum and dad and some of the htchlings, and post them on the forum, people will identify them for you for free and then you can sell them , me and my mate have had loads of snakes of the reptile forums, just look at how many posts / threads on the snake classifieds alone will tell you how much buisiness is on there.

anyways, just got back from birmingham with the new corn snake, absolutley superb she is, bit underweight, but shes just laid 20 eggs , so a couple of good feeds will sort her out, well looking forward to breeding my first lot, gonna get another snow corn, or blizzard corn to go with her.

are you going to eh IHS (international herpatalogical society) breeders meet / snake show at doncaster in september? well worth it, even if you just go to buy feeds (small mice where 30p each lol) gonna go and stock up, well worth the trip and dead cheap, got a 3`x1`x1.5` viv new for £40 and gonna stock up on feeds, hopefully see a nice corn there, but to be honest i reckon i`ll snap another bargain from the reptile forum well before then.

Never heard of that tbh mate, but I would be very interested in attending, although its a long trip from Wales. lol.

I will post loads of pics once the hatchlings come mate, and thanks for all the help and advice. Mogwi (Female) is knackered mate, since I took the eggs out, she aint come out of the hide, so will try feeding her today, as she aint eaten in a while. You got anymore details on thei reptile meet mate? And I joined the reptilious forum, there seems to be a selling section on there, which I will post in once I get the babies hatched. Last time, I had snowcones and amels and one was super rare markings, but meant nothing to me. lol.

2010 IHS Breeders Meetings

SUNDAY 26TH SEPTEMBER

theres more shows on nationwide, although not IHS , so not sure how good they are, still a bit new to this.

Corn snakes are probably `THE` begginer snake , really easy to look after, very forgiving and no trouble at all to look after really, as long you keep em clean. Believe it or not though some morphs and colours (i may be wrong, but i think morphs are the patterns and then obviously colours) are very rare and go for quite a bit of money, if you get some rare colours / morphs that are £30 - £60 each! you do the math, youve got the snake, it obviously breeds well, so why not make a few quid on it ;)

theres a book on corn snakes well worth buying, i have it, very straight to the point with all the info you need on everything from breeding to colors and morphs.

Corn Snakes Guide Care Book on eBay (end time 01-Aug-10 16:31:39 BST)

worth it.

Back