Smartphone Refresh Rates?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing lately, phone's boasting 120hz refresh rates? Is there some advantage to it? I wouldn't have thought the average eye would notice any difference from 60?? :)

I think some people will notice the difference but only slightly. I read somewhere that fighter pilots are trained using different refresh rate on monitors.

I guess it'll be less of a strain for thems that watch mooovies and VR on their phones

i've turned it to 60hz on my Samsung s20,i'm probably too old to notice the difference.
and only use it to check my bank and make calls.

For gaming buffs, if you play mobile games then you want 120hz

Basically, animations and scrolling will look smoother with a higher refresh rate. I have a 90hz screen on my phone but i didn't really notice any difference, however people say you only notice it when going back to 60hz.

Drawback of a high refresh rate screen is that it consumes a lot more battery. That's why most smartphones have a dynamic screen setting where it switches between 60hz and 90/120hz depending on the app you're using. It won't make any difference when watching movies or YouTube because video frame rate is mostly 24 or 30 fps.

Gamers might indeed benefit from higher refresh rates but then the game also needs to support a high frame rate. A quick search shows that mobile gaming is indeed quite big with mobile gaming estimated to make up 45% of the global gaming market (source).

It is a feature that you really don't need, but that can be nice to have. I would go for a lower refresh rate but a better panel like a good amoled screen or a higher screen resolution.

Back