Smart watches - opinions?

silkstg

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I was an early adopter of the Pebble smart watch back in the day of the original smart watch and swiftly moved on to the Pebble Time when it came out (ooo colour display). but recently the software died on the watch and with Fitbit buying Pebble and then dissolving it without even a small amount of support for their many customers it's impossible to repair. Since I came to rely on the watch quite heavily for notifications at work, I think as a replacement I'm going for the Samsung Gear S3 but have noted a good few alternatives out there and the software/hardware has improved a lot since the start of it all.
Do you have a smart watch? How much do you use it? Which one did you go for? and does it work well with your phone?

Apple Watch, got the 3rd gen. Can’t fault it, even used it for voice calls when the speaker went on my phone.
Great app support and build quality is good, mines been absolutely battered and it still looks smart. It’s survived me being a tradesman and mountain biker.

I've just got the Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm. Fantastic bit of kit. I used to have a Moto 360. I like round faces, and there are 100's of them for this watch even though it isnt not android based, it's Samsungs own Tizen OS. You can get lots of FREE apps including the most popular watch face apps like Facer and Watchmaker and you can use the free watcjface website so you don't have to pay for them in the app store.

I looked at the Apple watch but when I saw 18 hours battery life on the Apple Store I laughed and quickly shut the tab.

With normal useage, IE textting, the odd voice call, bits of Ok Google and the usual 100 or so email notifications a day I get 3 full days of battery before I charge it overnight when it gets to 20%.

It works perfectly with my Samsing S8+

The rotating besal is also cool, and it uses standard 22mm watch straps.

I also looked at the Ticwatch Pro, because of it having 2 screens, 1 amoled and 1 lcd, you are supposed to get up to 30 days battery life. But the Samsung Watch got much better reviews.

Just brought the Tic Watch Pro, but not aloud to play with it till Christmas

Got an Amazfit Bip watch several months ago, its been spot on for phone notifications and health tracking. Been really impressed with this watch for the price and also about 3 WEEKS battery life even with heart monitor on continuous and syncing with google fit and Sleep As Android app.

I just stick the Apple Watch on charge with my phone. The battery life has never been an issue, in fact when it’s on its charger dock it’s turns into nightstand style clock. The screen goes off but the slightest tap and it wakes the screen giving you an old school style digital clock screen.

Just a little add-on to @Captin post if you decide to get the Galaxy watch then please note the 46mm one is quite large/chunky and i would advise trying one on first,if your arm is on the skinny side it is gonna look....not good!
The 42mm looks just as good,still a bit chunky,think its same price though ? But awesome watch imho

Just a little add-on to @Captin post if you decide to get the Galaxy watch then please note the 46mm one is quite large/chunky and i would advise trying one on first,if your arm is on the skinny side it is gonna look....not good!
The 42mm looks just as good,still a bit chunky,think its same price though ? But awesome watch imho

The 42mm doesnt have the same battery life, Samsung state 2 days for the 42mm and 5 days for the 46mm.

Also the 42mm has been out for quite a while now, the 46mm came out September 2018 I think, not sure if there's newer tech inside or not though.

I've been looking for something to monitor my sleep patterns and was dissapointed with the Moto 360 because of the 1.5 days battery life, and a lot of other watches don't have a good battery life ether which is why I chose the Galaxy watch 46mm.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the Samsung 46mm. Don't worry, I have chunky arms so size is no issue.
The Amazfit did look good but I've got a Samsung phone and I've read the interaction between the two Samsung devices is really solid.

If your not going to wear the smart watch every day, don't purchase one. Most people after the novelty wears off never use them and only get the monthly bills. Also, if your late on a payment the will charge you per device... late fees and reconnect fees.

Never been interested in one. I honestly dont see the point of them, and when I speak to people who have one, and they're then glancing at their watch as they have an alert, it appears pretty rude tbh.

I think i'll stick to my Casio G-Shock, and my Tag Heuer for now :)

If your not going to wear the smart watch every day, don't purchase one. Most people after the novelty wears off never use them and only get the monthly bills. Also, if your late on a payment the will charge you per device... late fees and reconnect fees.

Not quite sure what you mean as my smart watch doesn't cost me anything apart from electric to charge it every 3 days or so.

I get bored quite easily with watches, hence my watch drawer being a little full and I have several in auto winders (and one in a safe deposit box), but a smart watch that can have a different face everyday for at least 2500 days (or more depending on which app you want to use) is a little less boring to me, plus you can put any 22mm strap on the Galaxy watch so the only thing that doesn't change is the watch casing.

I am also one of those people that can actually ignore alerts, emails and calls when I am with other people, so my phone and watch are not constantly glued to my face. :)

Never been interested in one. I honestly dont see the point of them, and when I speak to people who have one, and they're then glancing at their watch as they have an alert, it appears pretty rude tbh.

I think i'll stick to my Casio G-Shock, and my Tag Heuer for now :)

I’m self employed and it alerts me to emails, texts. Quick glance st the watch tells me if I have any emergencies that might have come in. Absolutely brilliant devices. I’ve taken important phone calls on the watch whilst stuck under a floor looking for a gas leak. I use it everyday.
Mine taps my wrist in time with an indicator signal when I’m using maps, if I have a turn coming up.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the Samsung 46mm. Don't worry, I have chunky arms so size is no issue.
The Amazfit did look good but I've got a Samsung phone and I've read the interaction between the two Samsung devices is really solid.

I seen both the Huawei watch 2 sport and the Gear 3 and i found the samsung watch the better all round watch, Execepts it did not do Android/google pay!

Im still standing by the Galaxy Watch,46/42mm still both aweasome...Yup Sze Matters ...lol

I seen both the Huawei watch 2 sport and the Gear 3 and i found the samsung watch the better all round watch, Execepts it did not do Android/google pay!
The Samsung watch 46mm does Samsung Pay, never used Google/Android pay as I only started using my Samsung phone with Samsung Pay so never used anything else. Works well with my Nationwide card but doesn't like my Barclaycard.

With the watch 46mm there are 3 battery modes, standard where you get up to 5 days before charging (I get 3) and this past week I've been trying battery saving mode and so far I'm on my 5th day and it has 30% left, it also has watch only mode where it gets up to 30 days but you just get a plain screen and no connectivity.

I've ordered a Withings/Nokia Steel HR, after I've had it a while I'll post a (very) short review here in case anybody's considering one.
HH.

I've ordered a Withings/Nokia Steel HR, after I've had it a while I'll post a (very) short review here in case anybody's considering one.
HH.
Arrived today, first impressions are very good. Not verified the step count accuracy yet but doesn't seem far away from what i actually walked today. Not too big for my small wrists, pretty smart looking imho & notifications work great for calls, texts, Whatsapp etc. Waterproof & decent battery life > 3 weeks allegedly. Defo recommend so far
HH.

Just got a samsung galaxy gear s3 frontier smart watch

Anyone got a link for paid watch faces and utilities ect for free (cough) ;)

Found this video but it's all a bit new to me at the moment and don't want to kill my watch lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Back