small office

hannibal

Member +
Reaction score
I have a small office with 3/4 pc's. I would like to link them all to my broadband connection. Also, I have a lot of info which I would like shared to each workstation/pc - I realise I will need some kind of server for this.

Can anyone recommend what eqiupment and software I need to fully meet these two criteria at a reasonable cost.

Thanks

As allroad says router best way to go with the setup u want...Server yes...or a seperate paritition/hd within one of your existing machines mapped to share to your network....

just build one m8 why pay dell a server isjust another computer consisting of HD MOBO OS CD DRIVE ETC

u dont need to go to the expense of buying a server and all the software and hours of "fun" setting it up, in the short term u might be better off setting up a workgroup network. this is were there isnt a contolling machine but all the resourses of all the machines can be shared or not as u please.
u could buy a couple of bigish disks and fit to too seperate machines to hold all your "shared info/data" use one as the live data and one as a backup, map this drive to all users.
if u use 1 machine as your internet machine (can also be used as a workstation) and use a software ip router like nat32e (thankyou mairyhinge) to connect any machines u want to the internet.
this option would probably cost under £100 (if all machines have net cards) + a few hours messing about. the other option server + software and install and config possibly £400 +

Same with the printers, u could spend 60 squid on a print server, or connect a printer or two to two seperate computers, share them and hey presto...ad hoc print server...yes ok the pc the printer is connected to has to be on but still cheaper....:)

Regards

Back