Slipknot bassist Paul Gray found dead

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Paul Gray, the bassist with US metal band Slipknot, has been found dead in a hotel in Des Moines, Iowa, police say.

The body of the 38-year-old musician was found by an employee at the hotel in a suburb of the city. Police said foul play was not suspected, but an autopsy will be carried out.

The band, famous for their ghoulish masks, won a Grammy in 2006 for the song "Before I Forget".

Most of the band members come from the Des Moines area.

"This is a big blow, not only to the community of Des Moines but fans of metal at large, worldwide," said local radio station director Andy Hall, who says he knew Gray for a decade.

"It's a devastating loss. Paul was a wonderful human being."

The nine members of Slipknot wore masks in public and referred to other bandmates by numbers; Gray was number two.

Their extreme stage antics extended to violence against each other and throwing bodily waste.

Despite considerable commercial success, the band remained based in Des Moines.

"The heavy metal world has lost an immense talent, and Slipknot's loyal following will ensure he and his music are remembered for years to come," said Neil Portnow, president of the Recording Academy, which runs the Grammys.

BBC News - Slipknot bassist Paul Gray found dead in Des Moines

I was wondering what was going on, SCUZZ appear to be having a SlipKnot night.

Great band, he'll be missed.

They take a lot of stick but they are a brilliant band.
RIP Paul.

this song is the fu***** bollocks.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkynPVNU5xs]YouTube - Slipknot - Eyeless live big day out[/ame]

Last edited:
And so Paul Gray (or number 2) joins Kurt Cobain and a number of others on the big stage in the sky.

Personally I've always hated Slipknot that type of rock music and style I always thought was horrid, but it still sucks that another rock musician has unfortunately passed away. RIP Paul.

When you look at what happened to him, Kurt and one or two others it makes you glad for the positive that at least the members of Red Hot Chili Peppers are still around and are are at their creative peak still.

And so Paul Gray (or number 2) joins Kurt Cobain and a number of others on the big stage in the sky.

Personally I've always hated Slipknot that type of rock music and style I always thought was horrid, but it still sucks that another rock musician has unfortunately passed away. RIP Paul.

When you look at what happened to him, Kurt and one or two others it makes you glad for the positive that at least the members of Red Hot Chili Peppers are still around and are are at their creative peak still.

A think the Chilli Peppers have been kak since Blood Sugar Sex Magik fella, anything after that was mediocre at best.

Nu Metal is hard to take sometimes and a lot of it is shite but Slipknot was one of the few Nu Metal bands that grab you by the bollox and when you look past the marketing side,they are a helluva good band.
There drummer is one of the best in the business, just ask lars ulrich..

A think the Chilli Peppers have been kak since Blood Sugar Sex Magik fella, anything after that was mediocre at best.

Nu Metal is hard to take sometimes and a lot of it is shite but Slipknot was one of the few Nu Metal bands that grab you by the bollox and when you look past the marketing side,they are a helluva good band.
There drummer is one of the best in the business, just ask lars ulrich..

Well I loved Chili Pepps album By The Way and I really liked Stadium Arcadium too. Hardly kak in my opinion. Proper music none of that Slipknot shite lol. It's probably the wrong thread for this but I'm pretty sure it was you that had some harsh words about Limp Bizkit....strange....imo, they were awesome around the turn of the millenium. But that's what it's all about is opinion. I just know that I really like tuneful and catchy rock music as opposed to harsh riffs and screaming just for the sake of it and Slipknot it for the most part fall into the latter for me. Not my thing to be honest - Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Chili Peppers, Linkin Park and Greenday on the other hand I think are or were top notch lol. ;)

Last edited:
Limp Bizkit and awesome used in the same sentence?!

Strange world.

Yup - keyword is were though....also I forgot to mention Foo Fighters they're quality too. Learn To Fly is an awesome song. :)

lol is that a joke id rather have kurt cobain and paul gray alive over fred durst and the chillis,they lost it a long time ago imo

Well I loved Chili Pepps album By The Way and I really liked Stadium Arcadium too. Hardly kak in my opinion. Proper music none of that Slipknot shite lol. It's probably the wrong thread for this but I'm pretty sure it was you that had some harsh words about Limp Bizkit....strange....imo, they were awesome around the turn of the millenium. But that's what it's all about is opinion. I just know that I really like tuneful and catchy rock music as opposed to harsh riffs and screaming just for the sake of it and Slipknot it for the most part fall into the latter for me. Not my thing to be honest - Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Chili Peppers, Linkin Park and Greenday on the other hand I think are or were top notch lol. ;)

A did have harsh words about Limp Bizkit apart from Wes Borland they are one of the worst bands i have ever heard and a classic example of shite Nu Metal.

A got Slipknot's first album on a promo copy and a remember saying to one of ma mates, "who the f*** is that" a couldn't believe them and System of a Down are classed as Nu Metal, unfair in ma eyes.

lol is that a joke id rather have kurt cobain and paul gray alive over fred durst and the chillis,they lost it a long time ago imo

I think we'd all prefer Kurt Cobain to be alive today. He was definitely gone too soon.

A did have harsh words about Limp Bizkit apart from Wes Borland they are one of the worst bands i have ever heard and a classic example of shite Nu Metal.

Fair enough as I say that's your opinion. But as it goes when I said Limp Bizkit were awesome I was talking about the trio of albums they made from 3 Dollar Bill up to Hot Dog Flavored Water as opposed to their more recent stuff. For what it's worth.

Last edited:
I think we'd all prefer Kurt Cobain to be alive today. He was definitely gone too soon.

Fair enough as I say that's your opinion. But as it goes when I said Limp Bizkit were awesome I was talking about the trio of albums they made from 3 Dollar Bill up to Hot Dog Flavored Water as opposed to their more recent stuff. For what it's worth.

Cool, there is plenty of metal for all tastes.:)

now 3 dollar bill i liked,significant other was ok,but as seems to be the case with a lot of musicians they start to believe there own hype and get big headed and release shite

korn a band i love are good examples of this,while i have enjoyed all there albums,the last few have been self indulgant twaddle compared to the first few

i also think its unfair to brand slipknow as nu metal

corey taylor(slipknot front man for those that dont know has one of the best voices in rock i think,fair enuff with a lot of slipknots stuff you cant tell but go listen to some stone sour,none of my mates believe it was the same guy

now 3 dollar bill i liked,significant other was ok,but as seems to be the case with a lot of musicians they start to believe there own hype and get big headed and release shite

korn a band i love are good examples of this,while i have enjoyed all there albums,the last few have been self indulgant twaddle compared to the first few

i also think its unfair to brand slipknow as nu metal

corey taylor(slipknot front man for those that dont know has one of the best voices in rock i think,fair enuff with a lot of slipknots stuff you cant tell but go listen to some stone sour,none of my mates believe it was the same guy

That's true as well. Funny you should mention that because come to think of it I remember my days when I was in college and a mosher mate of mine who was a huge Slipknot fan well we used to banter all the time because I can't stand them lol but anyways he played me a song on his portable cd player and he said I wouldn't believe who it was...he was right, I was floored when he told me it was the lead singer of Slipknot - I was like no way seriously ?! Lol. Hell of a difference I'll say that.

Mind you credit where it's due there is one Slipknot song I do like...it's the one that's featured on Motorstorm and Guitar Hero 3....Before I Forget I think it's called ? That's good.

Last edited:
Foo Fighters are a strange one for me.

Some of their stuff is brilliant, like Monkeywrench, All my Life, Everlong, Learn to Fly to name but a few, but the vast majority of their stuff is ZZZzzzzzz inducing.

System of a down.
Why do they start off a lot of their tunes at 100 miles an hour, then kill the tempo & break into a ballad part of the way into it?

Slipknot for me isn't about the lyrics, Corey Taylor can sing anything he likes, it's all about the raw energy, that ticks my boxes.

Incidentally, Paul Gray is the name of the bassist in one of my other favourite bands (The Damned), well he was for a while.

Hell yeah on the Stone Sour front as well.

I haven't listened to the other guys side projects yet, I might later on tonight.

Foo Fighters are a strange one for me.

Some of their stuff is brilliant, like Monkeywrench, All my Life, Everlong, Learn to Fly to name but a few, but the vast majority of their stuff is ZZZzzzzzz inducing.

Four of my favorite Foo songs there lol....my fifth would be Resolve which I don't think was released as a single but it's on the In Your Honor album. :)

Back