Slimline Ps2.can I Mod It?

dearme

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just a quick question for anyone on ps2.I am getting a new ps2 slimline for my sons xmas.a friend has offered some copied games for him but says that they may not play on new slimline model.Can I mod the box in any way to play copied games??
I know nothing at all about gaming or the consoles,but am obliged for any real help.

yeh u can using a tool called slim tool pro ONLY ON BLACK SLIM PS2 dont buy silver version as i dont know about that. u need slim tool pro and magic swap 3.6 which is two cd's which all that your ps2 will work fine. i paid 20 pound for mine works a treat. when using copied games make sure you burn them at 4x speed otherwise wont work and always use good media ie verbatim need any help PM me

harveybham said:
yeh u can using a tool called slim tool pro ONLY ON BLACK SLIM PS2 dont buy silver version as i dont know about that. u need slim tool pro and magic swap 3.6 which is two cd's which all that your ps2 will work fine. i paid 20 pound for mine works a treat. when using copied games make sure you burn them at 4x speed otherwise wont work and always use good media ie verbatim need any help PM me
interesting :) and this method works fine ? no frezing or games stopping half way through (if I was to back up an origanal) ;)

my mum has a modded slimline ps2 and everything works fine on it.

so it must be possible.

but she bought it allready done, so i dont know what chips in it.

Rat said:
interesting :) and this method works fine ? no frezing or games stopping half way through (if I was to back up an origanal) ;)

Nope no freezing no games have ever stopped for me, the only thing you have to make sure is that you burn it properly with good media and at a speed of 4x anyting less or above could not make it work properly. And the best thing is that yu cna take the chip out. well itz not a chip all it is are 3 little bits that you insert into your ps2. check out on google and type in slim tool pro check some websites out there should be some pictures on how to install and what it does. BUT if somebody gives you a game and they say you can try it on ur ps2 it may not work depending on how it is burnt but hey to solve this go onto ur pc make a copy of the game and burn it again. iv had it since July and worked perfect for me, will take some tyme to get used to it but once you got it u'll love it !

Thanks m8 :) i have had a google ;) seems pretty straight forward
would u PM me the details of where u got urs please m8 :)

yeh sure let me find the website then i will PM it to you can i just ask which slimline ps2 is it ? black or silver ?

Reactions: Rat
its a Black one m8 :)

if people reading this and thinking their silver ps2 can not be chipped well i just seen something that will allow it !

Well it all depends on what version of the Slimline you have got m8. Currently there are 3 version available V12, V13 and V14 (14 being the newest). I own a V12 and have a modchip install which is the bees knees. The V12 also needs some laser protection installing as well as the modchip otherwise you will end up with an expensive paperweight.

There are many version of chips available for the V12 and V13 but I must warn you installation isnt easy, you need to know how to solder and also be good at it!

Not sure if i can list the names of the chips or post links to places for information so will await a moderators reply before I do

q2

harveybham said:
Thanks for that input to my question.
Can you point me in direction of the slim tool pro and magic swap?I take it there no no mod needed inside console?any solder chip needed.If its just a software hack then that is great.I dont know which model I can get but it is the new one which I assume will be v14 if that is up to date.
Please let me know as I have never even touched one of these consoles,and only dealt with cc boxes.
cheers for all the answers

Just google for swap magic, the latest version is 3.6 and comes in PAL and NTSC (USA import) flavours. Try to get a package deal (i.e swap magic and slide tool together), you should be able to pick it up for about £17.

It is also avalible from ebay, but I don't recommend buying from there as ebay generally close the auctions (usually just after you've paid).

yeh if you google at search for Swap magic go to the man site of swap magic click on where to buy and search for the UK sites you should find them there

cheapest Ive found it is £19 with 99p postage
well I never found it ,Harveybham sent me the link
cant take his glory lol

where u found it for £17 Pob ? can u pm me the link

Just like to say thanks for all the answers and it really looks ok to get the stuff you have mentioned at around £20 which is fairfor getting games to play.
Good luck in your games forum here and I will look in again to see what tips are going .Cheers lads

q2uantum said:
Well it all depends on what version of the Slimline you have got m8. Currently there are 3 version available V12, V13 and V14 (14 being the newest). I own a V12 and have a modchip install which is the bees knees. The V12 also needs some laser protection installing as well as the modchip otherwise you will end up with an expensive paperweight.

There are many version of chips available for the V12 and V13 but I must warn you installation isnt easy, you need to know how to solder and also be good at it!

Not sure if i can list the names of the chips or post links to places for information so will await a moderators reply before I do

q2

no forums please m8y

but you can post diagrams and make of chips m8

thanks

harveybham said:
yeh u can using a tool called slim tool pro ONLY ON BLACK SLIM PS2 . u need slim tool pro and magic swap 3.6 . is there anywhere u no i can download these two discs for free,

can u PM any links please do not post them ;)

Usually avalible on torrent sites, but we're not allowed to post names or links to these sites.

But its highly likely that it won't work, this is because they use the same method to create these discs that sony uses for the boot sector of games (if they didn't it wouldn't work as a boot disk).

To be honest £17-£20 isn't much to allow you to play backed up games. But PM sent anyway.

Last edited:
mate it is impossible to download or make a copy of these discs. they are special discs with lots of circle around the cd which make it stop and start, these will not copy at all you have to buy them.

Back